[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 35: Use of undefined constant topic - assumed 'topic' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
Agoraquest • View topic - USB 2.0 Upgrade on PCV-RX580

Advanced search
It is currently Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:51 pm
Please Login or Register to take advantage of all of our forum benefits.

View topic - USB 2.0 Upgrade on PCV-RX580

USB 2.0 Upgrade on PCV-RX580

This Forum is questions on any problems you could have with your Sony computer system(i.e. driver issue, display resolution, irq conflict, computer stalls, low memory issue, so forth)

Moderator: jttar

by dawnf12 » Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:19 am

I just got done with a very frustrating chat with a Sony online technician who was unable to answer my question.

I own a Sony VAIO PCV-RX580--yes, it's old, but it really should have enough bells and whistles to remain relevant, at least for a while.  I would like to upgrade to USB 2.0.  Is the motherboard that came with this machine capable of supporting USB 2.0?

Thanks in advance!
Dawn
dawnf12
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

by jttar » Wed Sep 19, 2007 6:20 pm

Dawn,

Greetings and welcome.
Does your VAIO PCV-RX580 have an empty PCI slot that can accomodate a USB 2.0 adapter card?

Joe
jttar
Sony Legend
Sony Legend

by dawnf12 » Wed Sep 19, 2007 6:52 pm

I'm 90% certain it does...I confess I haven't been willing drag the tower out from it's hiding spot for no reason.  I think I remember reading something someplace in a long ago age that either said straight out or led me to believe that the motherboard couldn't support the 2.0 format?  Maybe something about a power supply.....?

I apologize for the vagaries...this is why I tried to go through Sony support directly.  I (wrongly) figured that it would be a cut and dry question.  When I asked the Sony tech the very same question I posted here, he said, "The motherboard is compliant with USB 1.1."  When pressed for whether it was upgradeable, he directed me to "contact my favorite computer supplier."  Well, Sony WAS my fave supplier.  After I asked the question about four more times, he finally told me it was not upgradeable to 2.0, but I suspect he just wanted to be rid of me and my persistance at that point.

Thanks,
Dawn

dawnf12
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

by jttar » Wed Sep 19, 2007 7:36 pm

Dawn,

If your PCV-RX580 does in fact have an empty PCI slot you can simply install a USB 2.0 PCI card for around $25 (US).  You should have three PCI slots (one of them may be taken up by a phone modem if equipped.

The power supply will not be a problem and WinXP supports USB 2.0 so you shouldn't have a problem other than opening up the case. If you need help let me know. I just read how to get it open.

Installing the USB 2.0 PCI card and the software should be pretty straight forward.

If you need any help just post back and I or others will be happy to be of any help we can.

Joe
jttar
Sony Legend
Sony Legend

by MrRoundel » Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:50 am

I know that this is an older thread, related to an older computer, but I really like my Vaio PCV RX650. Unfortunately, I'm having fits trying to get it work properly with an external hard drive, a Western Digital Passport 500GB. It seems that it is not compatible with USB 1.0 systems. So, I have the same question that the thread starter asked here, however I really don't see a complete answer.
I'm running MS XP Home w/SP3 now installed (After numerous attempts and use of MS FixIt.). I went to Fry's yesterday and bought an Inland brand "Pro PCI to USB 2.0 2-Port+1 Card" and installed it with no difficulty, as I had one empty PCI slot (Wireless card in other).  The trouble is that my system does not recognize the card. I have tried auto and manual hardware wizard settings and still cannot get the system to accept and enable it.  
It seems that if I don't get USB 2.0 up and running that my Passport will not work very well, if at all, for backing up my system. Since WD now provides a download of an Acronis-based program for creating a bootable image, I need to have USB. Even if I were to create an image it might take 3 days to transfer through the USB 1.0.
Suggestions, comments, overall enlightenment? Help? Thanks.
MrR
MrRoundel
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

by NiteHawk » Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:37 am

On 2011-08-21 10:50, MrRoundel wrote:
I have tried auto and manual hardware wizard settings and still cannot get the system to accept and enable it.  

It sounds like you are missing the driver support for device.  USB 2.0 support was included in the SP2 update to Win XP.  I questioned the fact that you are trying to update a USB 1.1 level motherboard but cannot find any reason why it shoud not work.

Since no driver CD was supplied, have you tried Windows Update ?

NiteHawk
Sony Addict
Sony Addict

by MrRoundel » Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:16 am

Thanks for your quick response, NiteHawk.
All of the service packs have been installed on my system. Is it possible that I have USB 1.0, not 1.1? Would this not be workable if that was the case? According to my systems records the present USB is an Intel(r)82801 BA/BAM USB Host Controller 2444. It is said to be "OK". There is a mini CD that came with the USB card. It is said to be for Windows 98 and ME, but not (necessary) for XP. I did try to install it after the card wasn't being recognized but nothing seemed to change.
Admittedly, I don't have auto updates enabled for MS. Perhaps I missed an individual update that might have helped? I guess I can go to the updates page and let MS have their way with my computer. Thanks.

MrR
MrRoundel
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

by NiteHawk » Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:32 am

Based on the additional info you provided about your usb host controller, I found this tread on someone asking the same thing.  Try the Windows Update, focusing on the optional updates because that's where the drivers for your card should be found.  Good luck.
NiteHawk
Sony Addict
Sony Addict

Return to Computers Troubleshooting