[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 35: Use of undefined constant topic - assumed 'topic' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
Agoraquest • View topic - VGX-XL1 DLS NEW Installation of MCE / not Sony Restore

Advanced search
It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:26 pm
Please Login or Register to take advantage of all of our forum benefits.

View topic - VGX-XL1 DLS NEW Installation of MCE / not Sony Restore

VGX-XL1 DLS NEW Installation of MCE / not Sony Restore

This Forum is questions on any problems you could have with your Sony computer system(i.e. driver issue, display resolution, irq conflict, computer stalls, low memory issue, so forth)

Moderator: jttar

by hardRESET » Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:34 pm

OK, I started out very excited, pushed off a client so I could come home and give this a try... guess what?!?!? same damn thing.  Let me go all the way through formatting the drive, create a list of files, then... please insert disk.

ARRRGGGGGGHHHH!
hardRESET
Sony Buff
Sony Buff

by hardRESET » Tue Jun 06, 2006 2:41 pm

Deep Breath....

I tried different drivers on the disk to no avail... I tried different ports for the USB floppy... no joy.  These are the same actions that I went through before.  But now I am back to square one, no OS on the hard drive, possibly having to go back to the Sony one.  I decided to try my own suggestion of using the nLite.  I DL'ed the latest copy, installed it, worked like a charm.  Only told it to add drivers and create an ISO.  Pointed it to the floppy, it read the drivers, told it to use the one that mrenne used.  It copied it, created the ISO, burned it to a CD, booted to it... HAPPY CAMPER!!!
hardRESET
Sony Buff
Sony Buff

by hardRESET » Thu Jun 08, 2006 4:35 am

mrenne,

or anyone else that may be interested...

Since that last post what I thought was working was actually not.  I had stopped the installation when it reached the network setup.  This is the point where it was asking whether I wanted to join a workgroup or domain.  I tried to join it to my domain but it wouldn't because it had not detected the NIC.  So I thought I would remake the nLite disk and include the NIC drivers.  I rebuilt the disk several times because I had not known, (and because I was in a hurry), that you cannot use the same set of files on the nLite build to add more drivers.  It gets it confused and it was giving me file copy errors during the text setup of copying files.  I jumped on their forum and read this and created a new build and added the RAID and NIC drivers to the build.  Created my ISO and CD.  Started the setup and it ran smoothly.  I was even able to join it to my domain!!!  But after I had gone through the setup I realized that I was never prompted for the 2nd CD.  Meaning that even though the base was MCE, that it did not have the components to run it.  I came back to work the next day and did some research on the nLite forum.  I found that some users had success creating a DVD with all the files on it from CD's 1 & 2.  I had brought my MCE disks to work, followed the directions and created the ISO.  Burned it to a DVD, it was 860MB+, and tried it on a test PC just before I had to go home.  It made it through the text portion of files copying and assumed it would be fine.  I had to do a side job that evening so I did not get to start it at home until about 7ish.  To make a long story short from here is that the DVD worked, I was able to join it to my domain, and I have a complete Sony software free version of MCE 2005.

I hope that this helps some others that want to get rid of the Sony stuff and/or join it to your domain...

hardRESET
Sony Buff
Sony Buff

by mrenne » Thu Jun 08, 2006 9:25 am

I, too, have thought of making a new DVD with all my needed drivers, etc.

In case it helps, the USB diskette drive I used which was recognized by the system is Memorex External USB (Teac Model FD-05PUB).  It does need to be plugged in the USB before you boot.

Did use the changer a bit last night and things seem to be working fine.

Also, comes in and out of standby without any problems so far.

Love it as an MCE box much more now. 
mrenne
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

by hardRESET » Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:34 am

On 2006-06-08 13:25, mrenne wrote:
I, too, have thought of making a new DVD with all my needed drivers, etc.

The bad thing about that is, and I am not sure about all of the packages from Sony, but you cannot just extract them like a zip file for use with nLite.  The package that I tried, which I think was the NIC, was that it checked to see if it had the correct hardware first.  I usually can just use WinRAR to extract any of the others, IE: Dell, Intel, most packages.

In case it helps, the USB diskette drive I used which was recognized by the system is Memorex External USB (Teac Model FD-05PUB).  It does need to be plugged in the USB before you boot.

That figures, I went and bought a more expensive Sony one, figuring that hey, it's a Sony brand... it should work...

Did use the changer a bit last night and things seem to be working fine.

I am still working with the changer.  It started to inventory the 90+ DVD's that I had in it, but couldn't wait to finishing getting all of the updates, so I kept rebooting.  Now I am not sure if it has finished ad from I remember that there is not a simple way to tell it to re-inventory the entire carousel.  Last time I had to eject all of them and re-insert them to have it recognize them.  Do you know of a way to invoke it?  I know that if you put one in it will inventory just that one.

Another question to you, I am not sure of your technical expertise, but have you had any experience with MS ISA 2004?  The reason that I ask is that is what I am running, hence also having a domain.  But I need to find out how to open it up and also find out what ports are being used for the changer program.  My changer will read the volume labels but it cannot download any of the information unless I bypass my server and connect the MCE directly to the cable modem.  Any help would be appreciated.

Also, comes in and out of standby without any problems so far.

YES, from what I have seen it definitely seems a LOT more stable.  I am using the NVIDIA PureVideo Decoder Platinum_v1.02-196 and when I was just setting up the display in MC, the videos were a lot snappier, I mean like start and stop very quickly.  Before there was a lot of lag and/or lockups.  Can't wait to try the DVD's.

Love it as an MCE box much more now.

Me too, I was soooo afraid before that I spent $1,700 dollars for something that just looked good and not very funtional...

hardRESET
Sony Buff
Sony Buff

by mrenne » Thu Jun 08, 2006 4:53 pm

I wasn't going to try and "unpack" the drivers (expect maybe the NIC and Intel drivers)  I was thinking of just dropping on the EXEs, etc. and call them out one by one.  This way I'd have 'em in one spot in case Sony drops them in the future. 

I will be looking at Vista and the Vista advisor claims only the RAID driver is an issue.  I'm guessing Intel will have a new driver or the current driver may work as well.  Now that I've got the RAID thing figured out I could do the dual boot if I had another hard drive.  Looks like one would slip in fairly easy if I can figure out all the cages and how they come out.

I don't have any idea on the changer cataloging command or what ports it may need for your firewall.  I am behind a router with lots of switches but did not have to open anything up.  There was a option for downloading information in the MCE setup, but that's all I did.

My very first DVD (the day I got the machine) got stuck and would not eject.  I had to take the changer apart to get it out.  Sony was not much help as you have experienced.  I had so many problems with the changer ... I've been scared of it.  It has been flawless since the plain MCE install.

I'm glad you're using nVidia's decoder.  I've been thinking about buying it.  I really like their other stuff.  I may take advantage of their trial version to test it against WINDVD.  Also, I believe there are some additional functions they provide in MCE from the driver, but have not figured those out yet.  I don't know if they come separate from the drivers.

I'd like a dual-tuner card (don't know why I need one -- I do have a dual tuner DVR 6412 from Comcast our cable folks) and maybe over the air HDTV.  I'm thinking more memory as well.

I'm hooked up via HDMI, are you?  Have not tried the component side since Sony "claimed" it only ran at 480p.  I said I was surpised they didn't have a VGA out for diagnosis and they said "We wouldn't go back to old stuff like that".  I said VGA would beat 480p, she didn't sound amused.  They also suggested all the rebooting and crashing was probably caused by my TV and I might want to replace it.  I have a Panasonic 60" LCD (which is basically a big laptop screen) and I was impressed to find out it was not rebooting computers.  Clever monitor for sure.

I am enjoying the box for the first time.  I must say it is very, very quiet.  Not to mention stylin'.
mrenne
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

by hardRESET » Fri Jun 09, 2006 6:44 am

On 2006-06-08 20:53, mrenne wrote:

I wasn't going to try and "unpack" the drivers (expect maybe the NIC and Intel drivers)  I was thinking of just dropping on the EXEs, etc. and call them out one by one.  This way I'd have 'em in one spot in case Sony drops them in the future. 

I will be looking at Vista and the Vista advisor claims only the RAID driver is an issue.  I'm guessing Intel will have a new driver or the current driver may work as well.  Now that I've got the RAID thing figured out I could do the dual boot if I had another hard drive.  Looks like one would slip in fairly easy if I can figure out all the cages and how they come out.

I don't have any idea on the changer cataloging command or what ports it may need for your firewall.  I am behind a router with lots of switches but did not have to open anything up.  There was a option for downloading information in the MCE setup, but that's all I did.

My very first DVD (the day I got the machine) got stuck and would not eject.  I had to take the changer apart to get it out.  Sony was not much help as you have experienced.  I had so many problems with the changer ... I've been scared of it.  It has been flawless since the plain MCE install.

I'm glad you're using nVidia's decoder.  I've been thinking about buying it.  I really like their other stuff.  I may take advantage of their trial version to test it against WINDVD.  Also, I believe there are some additional functions they provide in MCE from the driver, but have not figured those out yet.  I don't know if they come separate from the drivers.

I'd like a dual-tuner card (don't know why I need one -- I do have a dual tuner DVR 6412 from Comcast our cable folks) and maybe over the air HDTV.  I'm thinking more memory as well.

I'm hooked up via HDMI, are you?  Have not tried the component side since Sony "claimed" it only ran at 480p.  I said I was surpised they didn't have a VGA out for diagnosis and they said "We wouldn't go back to old stuff like that".  I said VGA would beat 480p, she didn't sound amused.  They also suggested all the rebooting and crashing was probably caused by my TV and I might want to replace it.  I have a Panasonic 60" LCD (which is basically a big laptop screen) and I was impressed to find out it was not rebooting computers.  Clever monitor for sure.

I am enjoying the box for the first time.  I must say it is very, very quiet.  Not to mention stylin'.

mrenne,

That would be a good idea for the drivers, and like you said they would at least be on the DVD for future installs.  But it would be even sweeter to incorporate them so the installs and reboots would not be necessary.

I am sure that I will be loading some Vista too when it comes out.  I have played with the beta and from the descriptions of the MCE one it sounds very cool.  I always enjoy being the first one on the new OS's.

I had found the ports before doing a Google but where I fail is creating the Rule that ISA needs to let the traffic through.  I am just not that ISA friendly.  I have a Vonage account that has not worked for over a year now because I cannot get the ports opened up correctly.  So I just have it forward to my cell phone.

I never had a problem with the changer but did have one with the DVD on the MCE itself.  The disk would not insert very easily and even harder to get out.  I found that the drive was lower than the slot that the disk has to go thru.  I had to take it apart and align them.

I am happy with the NVIDIA decoder, the reason that I think I like it the best is I don't like installing extra software, IE: Sony style, if I have something that works, such as Windows Media Player with JUST a codec, I am all over it.  The performance of it is very good as well.  It gets pretty high regards over on the HTPC News Forum.  That is a pretty informative site for HTPC's but not many have the DLS.  They are more into building their own.  Which I had thought about until I found this one.  Did you have to use the Sony main board drivers for the onboard sound and the HiDef audio driver, or did you find something else?  Because I am not real happy with the drivers.  I am hooked up via SPDIF and my Sony STR-DA9000ES will not auto sense the changes.  My old MCE had better drivers that when I changed a DVD to DTS, my receiver would auto sense and change to DTS.  It seems as if the HiDef driver is the culprit.  When you change it to AC3 it locks the signal at that and will not change it.  My receiver picks it up as 5.1 and that is it.

I too have the Dual Tuner DVR 6412 from Comcast, that being my cable company as well.  I currently do not have the cable going to my MCE, it was way too buggy before with the Sony build.  I might try it again now that it seems that it is working a WHOLE lot better.

I am not hooked up via HDMI because my receiver will not play nicely with it.  I had posted my problem here in a different forum and did not get much of a response.  I was not real happy about it because that is one of the reasons I bought the receiver that I did to only have ONE cable going to my InFocus ScreenPlay 61" not two.

Hell yeah, I guess I can finally throw away the box that it came in away.  I kept threatening to send the POS back.  I am soo glad that we were able to get this done!!!  It is a good looking unit and I didn't really want to get rid of it.  I was putting it through some tests last night and was very pleased.  Not one crash.  I mean changing between DVDs while watching one, have the DVD running and start music, worked just fine.

hardRESET
Sony Buff
Sony Buff

by econ0003 » Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:02 pm

It is possible to disable RAID and bypass using the RAID driver. There is a setting in the BIOS setup utility that allows you to do this. I can't remember if this setting is visible to the customer though.
econ0003
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

by hardRESET » Thu Jul 27, 2006 6:19 am

On 2006-07-27 02:02, econ0003 wrote:
It is possible to disable RAID and bypass using the RAID driver. There is a setting in the BIOS setup utility that allows you to do this. I can't remember if this setting is visible to the customer though.

econ0003,

On one of my calls to Sony Support, they had mentioned something about that, but I could not find where to do it.
hardRESET
Sony Buff
Sony Buff

by econ0003 » Thu Jul 27, 2006 8:13 pm

hardRESET,

A lot of the settings in the BIOS setup utility are hidden from the customer by default. I can check a system at work tomorrow to see if this is a hidden setting.

Tom
econ0003
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

PreviousNext

Return to Computers Troubleshooting