[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 35: Use of undefined constant topic - assumed 'topic' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
Agoraquest • View topic - VGX-XL1 DLS NEW Installation of MCE / not Sony Restore

Advanced search
It is currently Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:31 pm
Please Login or Register to take advantage of all of our forum benefits.

View topic - VGX-XL1 DLS NEW Installation of MCE / not Sony Restore

VGX-XL1 DLS NEW Installation of MCE / not Sony Restore

This Forum is questions on any problems you could have with your Sony computer system(i.e. driver issue, display resolution, irq conflict, computer stalls, low memory issue, so forth)

Moderator: jttar

by econ0003 » Fri Jul 28, 2006 5:42 pm

hardRESET,

It looks like this is one of the hidden settings in the BIOS setup utility. If you send me a PM from your Inbox with your email address I can help you change the setting.

Tom
econ0003
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

by hwong1 » Sun Jul 30, 2006 4:50 pm

Hi, has anyone been able to access the advanced bios settlings on this machine?  I puchased new memory for it, but it's not reading the SDP settings correctly.  Also, I was hoping if I can update the bios with something from the ASUS site (the motherboard is made by ASUS), then I can pop in a new Duo 2 Core.  Wouldn't that be nice!  Thanks, Henry
hwong1
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

by econ0003 » Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:54 am

If you want to view advanced settings in BIOS, google "oemdmi". First link should be zip download with oemdmi.exe.

Boot to DOS and run 'oemdmi.exe /ds', and write down the serial number (you will need to write it back when you are done changing advanced settings).

Then run 'oemdmi.exe /ss "EVAL"', this overwrites the serial number. All settings will be viewable when "EVAL" is written to the serial number field.

After you are done making your settings changes run 'oemdmi.exe /ss "your serial number here"' to write your serial number back.

econ0003
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

by hardRESET » Mon Jul 31, 2006 2:00 pm

On 2006-07-31 15:54, econ0003 wrote:
If you want to view advanced settings in BIOS, google "oemdmi". First link should be zip download with oemdmi.exe.

Boot to DOS and run 'oemdmi.exe /ds', and write down the serial number (you will need to write it back when you are done changing advanced settings).

Then run 'oemdmi.exe /ss "EVAL"', this overwrites the serial number. All settings will be viewable when "EVAL" is written to the serial number field.

After you are done making your settings changes run 'oemdmi.exe /ss "your serial number here"' to write your serial number back.

OK, who's going to first on this one?

Paper, Rock, Scissors...
hardRESET
Sony Buff
Sony Buff

by econ0003 » Mon Jul 31, 2006 4:00 pm

BTW if you don't know what you are doing don't go writing other DMI fields with oemdmi.exe.
econ0003
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

by hwong1 » Mon Jul 31, 2006 5:09 pm

Well, I gave it a shot, but I'm getting an error message: Invalid level 2 write access request.  Any thoughts?
hwong1
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

by econ0003 » Tue Aug 08, 2006 3:15 pm

Oemdmi is an Intel DMI tool. If the motherboard is not Intel you need to find the DMI tool for the manufacturer of the VGX-XL1 motherboard. If it is an Intel motherboard then you need to try different versions of the oemdmi tool.

It may be an ASUS board. Here is a link to an ASUS tool. About 3/4 of the way down the page there is a link to dmi236 for ASUS. If it is ASUS and it doesn't work try a different version of DMI for ASUS.

http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.php?p=3155921&postcount=40

The command would be 'dmi236.exe /g' to get the current serial number and 'dmi236.exe /ss "EVAL"' to open up advanced settings. Then write back the old one when finished with 'dmi236.exe /ss "your serial here"'.

Intel and ASUS are the only two I can think of that Sony uses for Desktops. Basically what it comes down to is you need the DMI writing tool for the motherboard manufacturer. Write the serial number "EVAL" (in DMI structure1) to expose the advanced settings.

econ0003
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

by perezstudios » Fri Dec 30, 2011 5:51 am

I have been trying to change the OS on this VGX-XL1 to Windows 7 but have been having issues. My son jammed two discs inside the DVD drive (not the changer) and I took it apart but it seems that the drive is damaged so it is removed. I plugged in a SATA dvd drive and tried to boot but it wont let me. Can anyone tell me if the only boot options are the original CD drive and the OS drive or how do I get into the BIOS and setup the other boot options? I dont seem to see anything on the menu after seing the Sony VAIO screen.

Thanks!
perezstudios
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

by jttar » Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:58 pm

hello perezstudios,

Have you tried the F keys when the VAIO spash screen appears?  I would suggest trying F1, F2 or F12.

Joe
jttar
Sony Legend
Sony Legend

Previous

Return to Computers Troubleshooting