[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 35: Use of undefined constant topic - assumed 'topic' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
Agoraquest • View topic - VGX-XL1 DLS NEW Installation of MCE / not Sony Restore

Advanced search
It is currently Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:57 am
Please Login or Register to take advantage of all of our forum benefits.

View topic - VGX-XL1 DLS NEW Installation of MCE / not Sony Restore

VGX-XL1 DLS NEW Installation of MCE / not Sony Restore

This Forum is questions on any problems you could have with your Sony computer system(i.e. driver issue, display resolution, irq conflict, computer stalls, low memory issue, so forth)

Moderator: jttar

by hardRESET » Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:20 am

I would like to know if any one has had a problem simular to this...

I have a VGX-XL1 and I want to install MCE 2005 on it clean and not use the Sony restore.  The first problem that I ran into is that the motherboard has an Intel SATA RAID on board so during the installation you have to hit <F6>.  So far, but wait... there is not a floppy drive in the unit.  OK, I order an external Sony USB floppy drive from NewEgg.  I got it in last week, so I am ready for this install now.  I boot from the CD and proudly hit <F6>.  It comes to the screen to select the OEM driver from the floppy.  I make my selection and the driver gets loaded.  I am then able to see the hard drive to which I would like my installation to go to.  I choose it, format it and the file copying process starts.  I then get prompted for the floppy to which the OEM drivers are on again.  But I have never taken the floppy out and the drive is still plugged in.  It looks as if when it loads the RAID drivers the first time that it does not see the floppy any more.  When I hit Enter to check the floppy the light does not light up like it did the first time.  I tried this several times and have tried a different external floppy.  I also opened the case to see if there was a place that I could plug a standard floppy... no joy there.

Does any one have any experience with this or another option for me to try?

Thanks in Advance...
hardRESET
Sony Buff
Sony Buff

by royphil345 » Fri Apr 07, 2006 11:54 pm

Couldn't you just install Windows without installing the RAID drivers? Then, install the drivers using Windows?
royphil345
Sony Enthusiast
Sony Enthusiast

by hardRESET » Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:59 am

On 2006-04-08 03:54, royphil345 wrote:
Couldn't you just install Windows without installing the RAID drivers? Then, install the drivers using Windows?

royphil345
Thanks for the response... but no you cannot because it will not see the drives at all.  Because it is a SATA drive and RAID, Windows Setup does not see it.
hardRESET
Sony Buff
Sony Buff

by royphil345 » Sun Apr 16, 2006 5:52 am

Hmmm... I have a SATA drive. Mainboard also has RAID built in, but don't use it. RAID drivers not installed. Drivers for SATA installed after Windows. Computer worked without SATA drivers (included with the mainboard chipset drivers).  Didn't think the Windows CD could even start running if the BIOS didn't detect a hard drive.

Is the drive detected if you look in the BIOS? Possibly disable RAID in the BIOS?

What happens if you try to install Windows without hitting F6? Does setup tell you you don't have a hard drive?

royphil345
Sony Enthusiast
Sony Enthusiast

by mrenne » Fri Jun 02, 2006 10:12 am

Did you get any further on this?  I would like to do the same thing and don't know how to get past finding the hard drive.
mrenne
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

by hardRESET » Fri Jun 02, 2006 12:38 pm

On 2006-06-02 14:12, mrenne wrote:
Did you get any further on this?  I would like to do the same thing and don't know how to get past finding the hard drive.

mrenne,

NO, I have not... I think that I am just going to try a program called nlite that you can use the original cd and add the drivers to it and just burn a new one with the SATA Raid drivers already on it.  That way it will eliminate the whole <F6> episode.

I did call Sony and they also said to make sure that you have the latest version of Media Center.  If you have the older one it will not find the CD/DVD 200 disc changer.

These are the different versions... We need the one called Symphony.

Versions

Currently there have been four different versions of MCE.

• Media Center Edition The first release based directly on Windows XP Professional, this release was only available from Tier 1 computer manufactures (HP, Dell, Zitech, et al).
  • Media Center Edition 2003 Included support for FM Radio, among other changes.
  • Media Center Edition 2004 (codenamed Harmony) released in 2003 and was later part of Windows XP Service Pack 2.
  • Media Center Edition 2005 (codenamed Symphony) The first edition of MCE available to non-Tier 1 system builders, includes support for Media Center Extenders, and CD/DVD-Video burning support. This version also removes the ability for a MCE computer to join an Active Directory domain.
  • Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 Update Rollup 2 (codenamed Emerald) Released in late 2005, this was a collection of feature updates including support for DVD changers.
hardRESET
Sony Buff
Sony Buff

by mrenne » Fri Jun 02, 2006 2:22 pm

Interesting comment from Sony, I would think we would need Emerald.  Mine came loaded with the "rollup" which I thought supported changers.

If I can make this work, I'd like to try Vista on it as well.  I thought about just buying a new hard drive and tossing it in as well.

I find the machine very unstable in its "out of the box" state.  I've started over several times.  I find I can only complete the installation in HDMI connected mode.
mrenne
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

by mrenne » Mon Jun 05, 2006 7:34 pm

I got it figured out.  First, you need an external USB floppy drive.  (I looked in the box and there is no IDE channel that I can see.)

There is a diskette image on the SONY site, but I couldn't use it.  Windows would fail with it.  (Vista Beta 2 failed as well.)

I went to the Intel site, http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scripts-df-external/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&ProductID=2101&DwnldID=10611&strOSs=88&OSFullName=Windows*%20XP%20Media%20Center%20Edition&lang=eng and used it to create a floppy which Windows was good with.  Choose Intel(R) 82801GR/GH SATA RAID Controller (Desktop ICH7R/DH) and off you go.

Deleted all the partitions and am starting over.

I've learned a lot about RAID at the site as well.  At least I now have Windows MCE loaded.
mrenne
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

by hardRESET » Tue Jun 06, 2006 3:16 am

mrenne,

That is GREAT news!!!  Now I can't wait until I can find enough time to try it myself.  I was really gun ho for a while but got really burned out with dealing with Sony, (you know long hold times, transferring of levels, trying to at least get someone with a little bit of knowledge).  Let me know how yours goes please.  I am hoping for something a lot more stable.

Also I think that you may have been right on the version being Emerald.  It has been a while and I couldn't remember exactly.  Is that the version that you have?  The one that I have is definitely over a year old, and I know that it has SP2, but not Rollup 2.  But the Rollup 2 is available via Windows Update or as a separate download, so I wouldn't see a problem there.  Just don't plug in the DVD changer until ALL patches have been applied.

Good Luck
hardRESET
Sony Buff
Sony Buff

by mrenne » Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:46 am

Don't forget to create recovery disks as you'll need those for the applications that shipped with the box (so far I've only needed WinDVD for the media CODEC).

Second, you'll need a way to get the network driver on the machine (either floppy or I used an SD card, you could also use the recovery disk I think).

I got all the other drivers off the Sony website and eliminated all the "yellow question marks" for the hardware. 

Before I did any Windows updates, I did the changer upgrade but haven't used it yet.

I did do the rollup and all the other updates -- takes awhile for sure.  So it is running with all the latest of everything.  (I did an upgrade to Vista but it was on the old Sony stuff ... I may try again once I get it stable on 2005.)  The Intel diskette was a true find. 

I downloaded the latest nVidia drivers for MCE and so far the box has been rock solid.  It has never worked so well.  Only used it for a couple hours last night, but so far so good.

Have not done any burning or ripping so can't speak to changer function.

Once I get everything working ... I'm thinking of adding some memory, bigger drive and video card.  I looked in the box and it has some quirks ... but is doable.
mrenne
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

Next

Return to Computers Troubleshooting