[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 35: Use of undefined constant topic - assumed 'topic' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
Agoraquest • View topic - RX580 (XP-SP2) suddenly can't see CD or DVD drives

Advanced search
It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:28 pm
Please Login or Register to take advantage of all of our forum benefits.

View topic - RX580 (XP-SP2) suddenly can't see CD or DVD drives

RX580 (XP-SP2) suddenly can't see CD or DVD drives

This Forum is questions on any problems you could have with your Sony computer system(i.e. driver issue, display resolution, irq conflict, computer stalls, low memory issue, so forth)

Moderator: jttar

by JOECEL » Mon Oct 18, 2004 11:17 am

guitarman,

I am reading your forum  and it seems to me that I have the same problem with my Sony computer. Can you send me the phone numbers of the sony tech and I will call them also. Thanks

joecel

On 2004-10-08 21:56, guitarman wrote:
For some unknown reason, my Sony Vaio RX580 suddenly can't see my CD or DVD drives.  Yesterday it was fine; today--nothing.  I've been pecking around the Internet looking for a solution and came upon this site.  My device manager displays the black exclamation point on the yellow background.  Should I assume that this is a BIOS issue, or something else?  I'd appreciate any help available.  Thanks.

Here's some basic information:

BIOS ID: 10/18/2001-I845-P4B
BIOS Type: Award Modular BIOS v6.0
OEM Sign-on: ACPI BIOS Revision 1004
Chipset: Intel 1A30 rev 3
CPU: Intel Pentium 4, 1800 Mhz MAX: 1200 Mhz

JOECEL
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

by guitarman » Wed Oct 27, 2004 12:47 pm

Joecel,

Sorry I didn't get back here sooner to help you--you've probably found a solution by now. But if not, try this: 1-888-476-6972 (888-4SONYPC).

Fact is, I still don't know what caused my problem, unless when I installed some software there was some type of glitch. The key for me was restoring my computer to an earlier date. Once I did that, it seems to work fine and I haven't had any additional problems. I also defragged my hard drive (took nearly a week, no kidding) and reinstalled the suspicious Adobe software with no problems. It must have been something else, but I simply cannot tell you what it was.

One thing I'm glad I did not do was modify the registry. I'd suggest doing that as a last resort. Hope this helps.

John

guitarman
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

by Ghamel5 » Wed Dec 01, 2004 6:32 am

Hi,

I have almost the same problem.  WIndows xp sp2 see my dvd, but the dvd is not able to see the disk and read it.  How did you resolve-it.

For now, i update the firmware to ver 2 and the aspi driver

thanks

And sorry for my bad english writing

Ghislain
Ghamel5
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

by reeciebenay » Tue Dec 14, 2004 7:06 pm

I just wanted to say that I had this same issue with my
Sony and I used the regedit method recommeded by jttar's post regarding the Microsoft Knowledge Database and it worked perfectly!  (also, it didn't cost me a cent) 
reeciebenay
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

by markjacknow » Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:45 pm

Greetings and welcome. In device manager is the exclamation mark in front of DVD/CD-ROM DRIVES?

Sony Fan

Previous

Return to Computers Troubleshooting