[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 35: Use of undefined constant topic - assumed 'topic' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
Agoraquest • View topic - RX580 (XP-SP2) suddenly can't see CD or DVD drives

Advanced search
It is currently Sun Dec 15, 2019 7:21 pm
Please Login or Register to take advantage of all of our forum benefits.

View topic - RX580 (XP-SP2) suddenly can't see CD or DVD drives

RX580 (XP-SP2) suddenly can't see CD or DVD drives

This Forum is questions on any problems you could have with your Sony computer system(i.e. driver issue, display resolution, irq conflict, computer stalls, low memory issue, so forth)

Moderator: jttar

by guitarman » Fri Oct 08, 2004 5:56 pm

For some unknown reason, my Sony Vaio RX580 suddenly can't see my CD or DVD drives.  Yesterday it was fine; today--nothing.  I've been pecking around the Internet looking for a solution and came upon this site.  My device manager displays the black exclamation point on the yellow background.  Should I assume that this is a BIOS issue, or something else?  I'd appreciate any help available.  Thanks.

Here's some basic information:

BIOS ID: 10/18/2001-I845-P4B
BIOS Type: Award Modular BIOS v6.0
OEM Sign-on: ACPI BIOS Revision 1004
Chipset: Intel 1A30 rev 3
CPU: Intel Pentium 4, 1800 Mhz MAX: 1200 Mhz

guitarman
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

by jttar » Fri Oct 08, 2004 7:01 pm

guitarman,

Greetings and welcome. In device manager is the exclamation mark in front of DVD/CD-ROM DRIVES? If so, you somehow have lost the drivers for the CD/DVD drives and Windows cannot recognize them. You will need to re-install the drivers If your not sure how to do this, post back and I or others will help.

Joe
jttar
Sony Legend
Sony Legend

by guitarman » Sat Oct 09, 2004 4:54 am

Thanks for your help, Joe--perhaps you'll be able to help me out.  Yes, the exclamiation point is just to the left of both the DVD and CD drives.

I can't find a driver for the CD drive, which is an ASUS CD-S400/A.  I found a driver update for the DVD drive on Sony's Web site, which is a Pioneer DVR-103, but when I tried to install it, an error message appeared during the process, which read: Cannot locate the target.  I presume that means it doesn't know where to put the driver?

The computer came with the software pre-installed.  Any suggestions on what I can try next?

John
guitarman
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

by jttar » Sat Oct 09, 2004 2:34 pm

guitarman,

I just looked on line and both your Asus CD player and your Pioneer DVD are both atapi drives and shouldn't need special drivers. A few questions: 1) Does the BIOS recognize both drives and their master/slave relation? 2) If the BIOS does recognize both drives, after Windows loads do the two drives show up in "My Computer"? If so, if you right click on the CD or DVD icon in "My Computer" and select "Eject" does the drawer open? When you load a CD/DVD in either of the drives does the light come on/ disk spin?
I am thinking that possibly there could be a connection or cable problem on the IDE channel (if their both on the same IDE).

Joe
jttar
Sony Legend
Sony Legend

by guitarman » Sat Oct 09, 2004 6:29 pm

Joe, here's what the BIOS reads:

Primary Master Disk: 8455 MB, UDMA 5
Primary Slave Disk: None
Secondary Master Disk: CD-ROM, Mode 4
Secondary Slave Disk: CD-ROM UDMA 2

I don't know how to interpret what this means, but I would guess that the drives are not being recognized, and no, they do not appear in the list of drives under My Computer, together with my A: and C: drives. 

Though there are no lights to indicate they are active, the drives must spin disks at least somewhat, because when I insert them, then open the drawer, their positions have changed

Question: does it seem strange that both of the drives have become inactive at the same time?  Does this information provide a clue?

John
guitarman
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

by jttar » Sat Oct 09, 2004 7:43 pm

guitarman,

Thanks for posting the BIOS readout. What this mean is that BIOS (Basic Input/Output System) does recognize both your CD ROM and DVD ROM drives and they are connected on the secondary IDE channel, one as a master and the other as a slave drive. This tells me that it is not a hardware problem and that it is a case of Windows not recognizing the drives. For some reason the CD/DVD drivers are not being loaded into DOS on bootup. You could try going into Device manager, removing both drives, rebooting and see if Windows than recognizes the drives. Did this problem happen after you installed service pack 2 as I have heard of this causing problems in drive recognition. As a last resort you may have to use your recovery disks or re-install WinXP.

Joe
jttar
Sony Legend
Sony Legend

by guitarman » Sun Oct 10, 2004 2:13 pm

Well, I tried uninstalling the drives and rebooting.  The computer picked up on the new hardware, but alas, they both returned with their typical yellow background and black exclamation point icon in device manager.  And as expected, they did not appear under My Computer.

I'll do a bit of searching the see if there's any information about the service pack upgrade causing this type of problem.  Perhaps I should consider reinstalling that first?

John
guitarman
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

by jttar » Sun Oct 10, 2004 6:07 pm

John,

HERE is Microsofts Knowledge Base Article with possible solutions that kind of describes your problem. I hope it helps.

Joe
jttar
Sony Legend
Sony Legend

by guitarman » Wed Oct 13, 2004 5:18 pm

Joe, thanks for the link.  I went there to check it out and it looks like Microsoft has definitely encountered this problem before with their Service Pack 2 installation.  Their suggestion: modify the registry.  I started to do that, but then didn't see the UpperFilters line mentioned in the article on my computer so I decided not to pursue it further.  I called the Sony tech folks who were able to show me how to restore my system back to the way it was in September before I installed some software.  The tech help cost $19.95.  Fortunately, it worked, and I am now able to see the drives in My Computer.

Before I reinstall the software I added in late September, I've decided to defragment my hard drive.  It's taking forever!!!  It'll be days before I'm back up and functioning normally, but I think it's an important thing to do (and I'll do it more regularly from now on .)  After the defrag, I'll reinstall the software and try to identify where the problem was.  I have a feeling it had to do with an Adobe product I installed, but I'll let you know later.

John
guitarman
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

by jttar » Wed Oct 13, 2004 7:29 pm

John,

Thank you so much for posting back. I'm glad to hear that your computer now at least recognizes your CD/DVD drives. Depending on when the last time that you ran defrag it could take awhile. It is a good practice to defrag often. I defrag every couple of weeks, the more often you perform it the less time it takes. Please do post back if you can identify which application may have caused the problem as it very well may help others with a similar problem.

Joe
jttar
Sony Legend
Sony Legend

Next

Return to Computers Troubleshooting