[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 35: Use of undefined constant topic - assumed 'topic' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
Agoraquest • View topic - Monitor not working. AGP/PCI prob?

Advanced search
It is currently Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:02 am
Please Login or Register to take advantage of all of our forum benefits.

View topic - Monitor not working. AGP/PCI prob?

Monitor not working. AGP/PCI prob?

This Forum is questions on any problems you could have with your Sony computer system(i.e. driver issue, display resolution, irq conflict, computer stalls, low memory issue, so forth)

Moderator: jttar

by jttar » Wed Aug 25, 2004 6:38 pm

dlin,

So sorry to hear that your problems have gone from bad to worse. In short, yes, if it is a bad mother board the rest of the system can be salvaged. In your case I would try removing all PCI cards, RAM memory sticks and your AGP video card and try turning on the computer, If the computer then powers up and starts beeping (BIOS error mesages) power off and then start replacing things one at a time and re-try powering up. For example, re-install the RAM sticks and re-try, if that works, next install the video card and re-try etc.. It's possible that one of the PCI cards, AGP video card or the RAM is the problem. If after removing all of the above the computer still doesn't attempt to turn on it's very possible that the mother board/processor is at fault. I have also run into the BIOS chip itself causing this type of behavior but that would be covered with the mother board. You don't mention where you are from but if your anywhere near the South side of Chicago, I would be happy to check it out for you. I feel bad for you as I know what it's like to run into problems after simply trying to improve on what you have.

Joe
jttar
Sony Legend
Sony Legend

by dontsleep33 » Wed Aug 25, 2004 7:14 pm

How can you have put the ram in backwards? they only fit one way?
dontsleep33
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

by aznherb36 » Fri Aug 27, 2004 9:47 am

test it first to see just in case.

yea if it is the mobo everything should be fine except for that ram you put in backwards

aznherb36
Sony Devotee
Sony Devotee

by jttar » Fri Aug 27, 2004 5:21 pm

On 2004-08-27 13:47, aznherb36 wrote:
test it first to see just in case.

yea if it is the mobo everything should be fine except for that ram you put in backwards

As dontsleep pointed out the RAM will only fit one way. There is a long and a short row of connectors. My best guess would be that dlin's RAM board never made contact if it was installed wrong. If he forced it hard enough to actually go down into the slot the RAM module and/or the motherboard would be obviously broken and would be able to be spoted rather quickly. There is a better than average chance that the RAM stick is fine.
Andy, any updates?

Joe
jttar
Sony Legend
Sony Legend

by dlin » Sun Aug 29, 2004 2:45 pm

**Update** Ok I have tried taking everything out and putting everything back one at a time. Still doesnt work. Im gonna replace it.
Can any kind of motherboard work? Im also thinking about bringing it to a sony repair center. Cause I dont want to mess it up any further.

For now im gonna go search thru sony's online manual.

Andy,

edit* The two pieces of 64mb ram dont seem to be broken, but it was the smaller piece that I accidently put backwards.

dlin
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

by jttar » Sun Aug 29, 2004 6:41 pm

Andy,

If you have a standard size case you can replace the motherboard with a number of manufactures such as Abit, Asus, Gigabyte etc. you just have to make sure that you purchase a motherboard that will accept your processor. I would like to get my hands on your machine to test and solve your problem to help you out but if the distance is too great the Sony repair center might be your best option. You don't say where you are from but if your near Chicago I know I could save you some $$$'s. Best of luck.

Joe
jttar
Sony Legend
Sony Legend

by dlin » Mon Aug 30, 2004 2:02 pm

Thanks Joe,

But Im in CA, and I just checked the sony repair site. Its gonna cost $600 from sony for them to fix it, even though this is an old computer.
I have a p4 1.30 ghz processor. http://www.docs.sony.com/release/specs/PCVRX462DS_mksp.pdf And these are my specs. The only thing not mentioned is the specific motherboard. So I wonder if any $40-$50 motherboard work? (New or Old) For now im just gonna fix it and not touch it again. Im thinking in a few months to try and learn how to build a new computer. The vaio pc would just be for doing work and internet.

Andy,

*edit does anyone know what socket a p4 1.3ghz is?

dlin
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

by jttar » Wed Sep 01, 2004 7:31 pm

dlin,

That would be a socket 478 or a socket 423 for a P4.

Joe 
jttar
Sony Legend
Sony Legend

by markjacknow » Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:46 pm

Like jttr said,it could have been a static charge that killed the video card but I dont think so either.

Sony Fan

Previous

Return to Computers Troubleshooting