[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 35: Use of undefined constant topic - assumed 'topic' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
Agoraquest • View topic - Monitor not working. AGP/PCI prob?

Advanced search
It is currently Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:54 pm
Please Login or Register to take advantage of all of our forum benefits.

View topic - Monitor not working. AGP/PCI prob?

Monitor not working. AGP/PCI prob?

This Forum is questions on any problems you could have with your Sony computer system(i.e. driver issue, display resolution, irq conflict, computer stalls, low memory issue, so forth)

Moderator: jttar

by dlin » Sun Aug 15, 2004 4:49 pm

Today I have opened up my sony vaio pcv-rx462ds computer and wanted to swap out my old 128mb ram for some 256mbs I read the vaio manual and decided to remove the power supply (which was blocking view of the memory slots) and the agp/pci slot (I think. It's the card that lets you plug in the monitor.) Anyways after put everything back together and try to boot it up. The monitor does not power on, there is a small light which turns green when its on. Now it just stays yellow, and the screen never turns on. I dont know if I damaged the card or what, if so I hope its just the card. And my question is, im wondering if you guys know if I can pick up this part at a local computer store, or if I have to order it.

Please reply ASAP, im on my crappy old compaq presario and I want to fix the vaio ASAP.

Hoping someone reads this.

Andy,

edit: Does anyone know if this is also the ge force 2 MX card?

dlin
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

by jttar » Sun Aug 15, 2004 7:01 pm

dlin,

Greetings and welcome. To answer your question first, yes, your PCV-RX462DS does use the Nvidia GeForce2 MX video card. The fact that your monitor light stays yellow is indicative of a video card problem. It is possible that you have static shocked your video card but it's not likely. I would suggest removing and re-seating the video card in the AGP slot as it might not be making proper contact. Also, try swapping back to the original 128mb ram and see if the computer powers up. It's possible that you have a defective stick of ram or it is the wrong ram for your computer. I have bought new defective ram on more than one occasion which will stop the computer from even posting (Power On Self Test). Let us know what happens.

Joe
jttar
Sony Legend
Sony Legend

by dlin » Sun Aug 15, 2004 8:24 pm

Thanks jjtar.

Tried putting original ram back in, still don't work. Tried hooking up the sony trinitron monitor to the presario, it works. So i guess its the video card. The case was very dirty and dusty inside as well ( 4yrs never opened). Do you know how I can clean the parts and the case without damaging any further? The vid card was covered in dust. This sucks. Now I need to upgrade the video card as well.
dlin
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

by dontsleep33 » Sun Aug 15, 2004 9:36 pm

Like jttr said,it could have been a static charge that killed the video card but I dont think so either.

I would make sure you reconnected the power supply correctly.If your processor has a separate 4 pin lead from the power supply(some do,some dont) aside from the large motherboard connecter,it has to be plugged in.
Not plugging in that connecter will give all the symptoms you explained.
Also if you want to clean the pc out correctly,buy a can or 2 of compressed air,take the pc outside and spray it out.
GL.
dontsleep33
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

by jttar » Mon Aug 16, 2004 6:01 pm

Andy,

Before you run out and buy a new video card, do you have any other AGP video card available just to try? Even if you can borrow one just to make sure that it is the problem. A lot of places will only let you exchange computer parts and will not refund your money if it should turn out to be something else. This would also confirm that the motherboard is OK.

dontsleep's compressed air suggestion will work just fine on cleaning out the dust bunnies. I also used slightly dampened Q-Tips to clean both sides of any and all fan blades to remove the dust. This would be case fans, processor fan and even power supply fan(s). If the inside of the case hasn't been cleaned for four years you will be amazed how quiet it will be after cleaning the buildup off the fan blades. This will also make the fans last longer as they won't be out of balance and creating wear on the ball or sleeved bearings.

Joe
jttar
Sony Legend
Sony Legend

by dontsleep33 » Mon Aug 16, 2004 6:18 pm

Yeah,I have to clean my fans every few weeks.For some reason they get real nasty pretty fast.I think its because I dont have carpeting in the room with it.
dontsleep33
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

by aznherb36 » Tue Aug 17, 2004 3:49 pm

Dont spray to hard/close. said from my bro in the Air Force who fixes planes, spraying it directly on the boards may damage them

If you do it inside get a vaccum

aznherb36
Sony Devotee
Sony Devotee

by dlin » Tue Aug 24, 2004 1:27 pm

Thanks for all the suggestions, guys.

I havent had time to look at it yet, until today. And now im having a new problem. I can't power up the computer. After opening the case up and trying to put the vc back in, I tried switching the ram around also, and found out I had put it in the wrong way. Now when I put everything back together and plug the power cord in, it makes a little electrical noise. Then when I press the power button, the light only comes on for a second, then it dies. I have no clue what wrong now.

Is it the power supply? or motherboard? The case is still dusty cause i havent had time to remove every part to clean separately.

Andy,
dlin
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

by aznherb36 » Tue Aug 24, 2004 5:20 pm

Its motherboard. if you put the ram backwards thats like jamming a big thing into a small opening
aznherb36
Sony Devotee
Sony Devotee

by dlin » Wed Aug 25, 2004 9:40 am

Ok. If the mobo is dead can everything else be salvaged?
dlin
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

Next

Return to Computers Troubleshooting