[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 35: Use of undefined constant topic - assumed 'topic' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
Agoraquest • View topic - PCV-RZ14G USB problem

Advanced search
It is currently Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:00 pm
Please Login or Register to take advantage of all of our forum benefits.

View topic - PCV-RZ14G USB problem

PCV-RZ14G USB problem

This forum is geared towards fine-tuning your Sony computer settings. If you have troubles or just simple questions about optimizing your computer settings, check out this forum. Feel free to add your suggestions to the manuals..

Moderator: jttar

by rogerf » Fri Dec 08, 2006 7:10 pm

Is there a known problem with running USB 2.0 devices on the PCV-RZ14G USB?
From the beginning I have gotten mesages when plugging in many USB 2.0 devices saying that the device would run faster if I were using one of the available USB 2.0 ports. But the messages is the same on all the ports.

When it was under warranty they convinced me that it was a device problem, not a problem with the Vaio, so I did not follow through on it. Now I want to buy a webcam for Skype, but if the USB ports are all running at 1.0, I would be getting poor performance, and I have not found a PC/firewire webcams that works with Skype. I hope to find some expertise here to settle the question.

Roger

rogerf
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

by jttar » Sat Dec 09, 2006 12:48 pm

rogerf,

Greetings and welcome.
It could be a a driver issue with the USB ports. Have you checked to see if you have the USB 2.0 driver installed?

Go to START/SETTINGS/CONTROL PANEL/SYSTEM/HARDWARE/DEVICE MANAGER and make sure that the drivers are installed for USB 2.0 under Universal Serial Bus Controllers.

Joe
jttar
Sony Legend
Sony Legend

by Ralfpw99 » Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:37 am

Roger,

I have read that there is a known problem with the SiS PCI Cards that control the USB2.0 communications, in this Sony model.

Sorry to say, I have read and tried several solutions that have not worked for me, but perhaps they will work for you. I can send you links for your reference if you like.

The only solution that worked for me several times was to re-install XP. Unfortunately, I have not determined what software caused my most recent hardware recognition problem. I just hate to go through this laborious process again and again.

I think now, my final solution will be two add a different PCI card to the computer.
The PCVRZ 14G has an open slot for that purpose.

Good Luck,
Ralf
Ralfpw99
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

by rogerf » Wed Jan 03, 2007 2:29 pm

Raff,

I also am not up to XP re-installs to fix this.

However, even after several years of use, this Sony PC is such a great machine for my purposes that I would be willing to invest a reasonable amount in a possible hardware fix for the USB bug.

I would appreciate your sending me references and any good source for the card that you might have identified.

This site has been very helpful.

Thanks!

Roger
rogerf
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

Return to Computers Configuration