[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 35: Use of undefined constant topic - assumed 'topic' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
Agoraquest • View topic - Sony Vaio PCG-R505ES Laptop memory problems

Advanced search
It is currently Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:55 am
Please Login or Register to take advantage of all of our forum benefits.

View topic - Sony Vaio PCG-R505ES Laptop memory problems

Sony Vaio PCG-R505ES Laptop memory problems

This forum is geared towards fine-tuning your Sony computer settings. If you have troubles or just simple questions about optimizing your computer settings, check out this forum. Feel free to add your suggestions to the manuals..

Moderator: jttar

by Bariba » Thu Dec 29, 2005 9:42 pm

I am working on a friends Vaio PCG-R505ES laptop.  He has several problems:

1.  The hard drive is constantly being accessed for read and write commands, hence the machine operates slowly
2.  I have installed 512 M of additional RAM in the single RAM socket provided under the keyboard.  The BIOS sees this RAM but the OS does not.

The unit is running Windows XP SP2.  I have updated the BIOS to the only one I could find on line which is R0227C1 dated 11/07/02.  I can find no meaningful motherboard drivers.  I have defragged with the latest copy of Noton Systems works, have done a virus check, have run HijackThis and find no registry errors.

It seems to me that there is a lot of page swapping going on here, but I can't get the unit to see more RAM, so don't know where to go from here.  Any thoughts?

Bariba
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

by jttar » Fri Dec 30, 2005 4:56 pm

Bariba,

Greetings and welcome. I am not sure why Window's is not recognizing the additional RAM. It should be able to recognize up to 768mb, including the 256mb of non removable memory.

As far as the hard drive constantly being accessed for read and write commands, there is either some kind of virus/trojan activity going on or a hardware/software confliction that Window's is struggling with.

Try CTRL-ALT-DELETE and click on TASK MANAGER. Next click on PROCESSES and check to see what is running after a clean bootup. You can right click on each process and select END PROCESS. See if you narrow down which process is causing the constant read and write and try to associate the process with the program that's loading on start up.

Joe
jttar
Sony Legend
Sony Legend

Return to Computers Configuration