[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 35: Use of undefined constant topic - assumed 'topic' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
Agoraquest • View topic - Sony VAIO VGN-FS660 memory question

Advanced search
It is currently Sat Dec 07, 2019 3:46 pm
Please Login or Register to take advantage of all of our forum benefits.

View topic - Sony VAIO VGN-FS660 memory question

Sony VAIO VGN-FS660 memory question

This forum is geared towards fine-tuning your Sony computer settings. If you have troubles or just simple questions about optimizing your computer settings, check out this forum. Feel free to add your suggestions to the manuals..

Moderator: jttar

by decepticon808 » Mon Oct 10, 2005 9:03 pm

I was just looking at the spec sheet for the Sony VAIO VGN-FS660, and I noticed that Sony bundles the laptop with 2 512MB DDR333 modules.  However upon further research of the chipset used in this laptop, Intel's 915PM, I see that it can actually accept(or is supposed to be able to) DDR2 memory modules. 

What I'm wondering is if anyone has actually tried to use DDR2 laptop memory modules instead of the DDR333 ones that are recommended through websites such as Crucial, and Corsair.  I'm thinking of trying out DDR2 spec memory to replace the 512MB DDR333 modules, but I want to know if anyone else has tried them out and if they've had any success or failure?  I'd hate to try that out only to find that someone has tried this and found that Sony did something to the board which cripples its ability to use anything above DDR333 memory chips.

Thanks for any help or comments!
decepticon808
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

by jttar » Fri Nov 11, 2005 8:21 pm

decepticon808,

Greetings and welcome. I have never tried it and am not sure if the DDR2 memory will work. If you can purchase it from a dealer who is willing to take it back if it doesn't work it would be worth giving it a try. If you do try it please post back and let us know the results.

Joe
jttar
Sony Legend
Sony Legend

by badboy77 » Thu Jan 12, 2006 2:11 pm

i have a FS570 heres a link with my original specs http://www.docs.sony.com/release/specs/VGNFS570_mksp.pdf

here
my current specs.

Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005
Pentium-M 780
Kingston ddr3200 (200pin 2x512).
Seagate 120gb 5400rpm 8mb buffer
Audigy 2 ZS Notebook
Bluetooth Wireless Optical Mouse with USB Adapter.

sony will tell you the hardrive and dvd re-writer are upgradeable.  which it true.

ram - due to fsb they @clock speed they ship slower/cheap memory
you can ugrade to only 1gb even with ddr memory. bios will not support more than that. the system will run ddr2 pc3200 (2x512)

cpu is not according to them. they don't wont you breaking something while taking apart the machine.

as far as the OS. fs series do not support XP MCE. No Tuner Card. While MCE is Windows XP Professional With Media Center Technology. it will run MCE 2005. you just cannot you TV/programming features.

hope this helps. 

as far as memory goes it will be hit or miss. my system was picky. kingston worked the best with memtest for stability testing. no crashes.  be sure if memoery doesn't work you can take back to seller.

badboy77
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

Return to Computers Configuration