[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 35: Use of undefined constant topic - assumed 'topic' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
Agoraquest • View topic - Explanation of the 2 trap doors on the bottom of GRS notebook

Advanced search
It is currently Sat Dec 14, 2019 4:16 am
Please Login or Register to take advantage of all of our forum benefits.

View topic - Explanation of the 2 trap doors on the bottom of GRS notebook

Explanation of the 2 trap doors on the bottom of GRS notebook

This forum is geared towards fine-tuning your Sony computer settings. If you have troubles or just simple questions about optimizing your computer settings, check out this forum. Feel free to add your suggestions to the manuals..

Moderator: jttar

by sevenstring » Wed Dec 31, 2003 6:47 am

Hello

Recently I upgraded my GRS175 Notebook to 512K memory, (by installing a 256k chip in one of the trap doors on the bottom of the unit) but, what is the reason for the second trap door. It appears to be an expansion slot, but what can I install in this space?

Thanking you in advance,

Ron

sevenstring
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

by duncan » Fri Jan 02, 2004 4:22 am

Hi,  Does it look like this would fit on the bottom of your laptop into
that socket?

Its a port replicator.  The only other thing I found was a reference to a MDC Accessory but thats a modem I think?
Duncan

P.S I assume you mean 512Mb upgrade
duncan
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

by sevenstring » Fri Jan 02, 2004 9:58 am

Duncan

Thanks for your post.

No it's not the port replicator. If you can imagine there are 2 trap doors on the bottom of the unit. The Sony information pamphlet compeletely ignores these two doors and explains the reset button, Port Replicator, even the little feet to tilt the unit.

One of the trap doors is for RAM memory, and I added a 256mb chip to bring the unit up to 512meg memory.

The other trap door has an expansion slot of some kind. The slot has about 80 pins, and is about 2 1/4" wide, and completley different than the memory slot.

I'm puzzled as to this slot, as I've never seen this type before.

Ron
sevenstring
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

by sevenstring » Fri Jan 02, 2004 10:00 am

Duncan

P.s. I scanned the bottom of the unit, but the "insert Picture" on this site doesn't work for me....

Thanks, Ron
sevenstring
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

by duncan » Sun Jan 04, 2004 8:59 am

You can copy and paste or drag and drop images into the window when writing a message.

I looked at a service manual and it said it was a MDC expansion slot....that could be a modem...
duncan
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

by sevenstring » Mon Jan 05, 2004 9:06 am

Duncan

Thanks, I did a quick search using Gurunet (Atomica) and it reports MDC as "Mobile Daughter Card". Cool, but have you ever seen a card available for purchase?

Drag & Drop, and COpy & paste still did not work...wierd.

Ron
sevenstring
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

by duncan » Mon Jan 05, 2004 10:05 am

Afraid not, never seen one.  Do you already have a Modem, or is there enough room in there for a wireless adapter?
duncan
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

by sevenstring » Mon Jan 05, 2004 10:11 am

Duncan

Yeah the unit has a built in 56k Modem, network adaptor, and I'm using a PCCMIA Linksys wireless adaptor, hooked up to a 2,4GHz Linksys router...kinda cool.

The only thing missing from this unit (Vaio) id the infrared, and a PS/2 keyboard input.

To be frank with you I was hoping that the slot in question was a video ram input, The GRS comes with an ATI Radeon 7500, but with only 16 meg video...it would have been neat to upgrade the memory to 64K and up

Ron

sevenstring
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

by duncan » Mon Jan 05, 2004 11:26 pm

Video memory is quite often shared memory especially in laptops, one way to check this is by right clicking "My Computer" and looking at the size of memory.  You say you have 512K now, I'll assume you mean 512Mb, if your computers properties show less...e.g. 496Mb you are very likely to have shared video memory i.e 16Mb missing for you graphics.

If you enter your computers BIOS settings on booting up you can change the size of the video memory,  I have done the very same on my laptop, increasing it to 64Mb.  Good Luck.

Duncan
duncan
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

Return to Computers Configuration