[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 35: Use of undefined constant topic - assumed 'topic' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
Agoraquest • View topic - How to delete HD partition on Vaio PVC-RS410

Advanced search
It is currently Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:19 am
Please Login or Register to take advantage of all of our forum benefits.

View topic - How to delete HD partition on Vaio PVC-RS410

How to delete HD partition on Vaio PVC-RS410

This Forum is questions on any installation you could have with your Sony computer system (i.e. How to install, what wires go to where, what drivers need to be installed, etc...)

Moderator: jttar

by pphelan » Thu Feb 22, 2007 11:37 am

I want to remove the partition on the C drive - having just one physical drive instead of the two logical ones.  The C drive is WAY too full and there is virtually nothing on D.  We were unaware of the way the drive was configured when we were loading software, etc.

First, is there a downside to eliminating this partition?

If I proceed with this, will the recovery CD allow me the option of removing this partition or will it only restore things to factory spec condition?  Or am I totally misunderstanding the purpose of the recovery CD?

I would really appreciate any help/insight anyone could provide.  I am confident I can do this, I just want to make sure I'm doing the right thing.

Many thanks in advance.

Annie P
pphelan
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

by jttar » Thu Feb 22, 2007 6:04 pm

pphelan,

Greetings and welcome. Your Vaio PVC-RS410 should have come with a 120GB hard drive. Is that drive partitioned into C and D drives originally?

The restore CD will restore your computer back to out of the box status and if it was originally partitioned it will do the same. There are several third party software applications that will do what you are looking to do. One of the most popular is Partition Magic. HERE is a link to read about it and also if you like it you can download a free trial version and give it a try. Hope this helps.

Joe
jttar
Sony Legend
Sony Legend

by Toli » Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:52 am

jttar,

Except that you will lose the ability to easily restore the computer to it's original state,is there a down side to eliminating the partition?

Toli
Toli
Sony Legend
Sony Legend

by jttar » Fri Feb 23, 2007 6:20 pm

Toli,

Not really, as long as the BIOS recognizes the entire hard drive. I usually partition large hard drives just so files are quicker to access and for maintenace like defrag or system scans.

If the drive was originally partitioned, using the restore disks will no doubt repartition the hard drive and install the operating system and programs back to "C" drive.

Joe
jttar
Sony Legend
Sony Legend

by HPriser » Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:35 am

I have the same problem but with Sony VAIO PVC 7733. It has a 60GB Har drive. I can ony use 15 GB for Files under user protection. The other 40 GB is on D:. How can I merge these without spending a lot of money for a one-time fix like this?
HPriser
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

by jttar » Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:48 pm

HPriser,

Greetings and welcome!

As I mentioned a few posts above yours, a program called Partition Magic will allow you to merge your C and D drives without lost of data. You can download a free trial of the program to see if it will work for you HERE.

Are you looking to increase the space of C drive to add more programs to that drive?

Joe
jttar
Sony Legend
Sony Legend

by claudio » Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:24 am

Saw this on a forum

First of all, Backup your system, in case you need it, if not....

Second : boot with your Windows XP Cd-rom and, when prompted to Recover an old installation or new one, choose "new one" by pressing the ESC key.

Next step, choose of partition. Here, select the C: and Press "D", Then "ENTER", then"L", and your partition C has gone; then select the D: and Press "D", Then "ENTER", then"L", and your partition D has gone. In the partitions table nothing left but "Unlocated Space". Choose it and press "Enter", set the size of it, in your case, Full Space and press "Enter".

Then Setup will copy files and install as usual.

Founder
Agoraquest
claudio
Sony Addict
Sony Addict

by claudio » Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:49 am

Found a link to a forum that is having Paragon Hard Disk Manager (Hard Disk Manager 2008 Suite) for free. It retails for $49.95. I think Computer Link Magazine is giving the serial number out for free. I would check on the following link for more information

http://forums.slickdeals.net/showthread.php?sduid=0&t=830991
Founder
Agoraquest
claudio
Sony Addict
Sony Addict

Return to Computers Installation