[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 35: Use of undefined constant topic - assumed 'topic' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
Agoraquest • View topic - Is it worth upgrading the memory of a PCV-RS404?

Advanced search
It is currently Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:14 am
Please Login or Register to take advantage of all of our forum benefits.

View topic - Is it worth upgrading the memory of a PCV-RS404?

Is it worth upgrading the memory of a PCV-RS404?

This Forum is questions on any installation you could have with your Sony computer system (i.e. How to install, what wires go to where, what drivers need to be installed, etc...)

Moderator: jttar

by africangrey650 » Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:40 am

Hi

I have a PCV-RS404 which works well but seems a little sluggish nowadays.

It has the normal 512MB memmory installed but I understand it can be upgraded to 2GB.

Questions:

- any advice?

- is it worth upgrading it?

- has anyone done it?

- any likely problems?

Looking forward to hearing something in due course.

Many thanks & cheers
africangrey650
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

by NiteHawk » Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:25 pm

Sluggishness is a time honored feature of Windows, unless you perform routine maitntenance; to include disk clean-up of your hard drives, registry files and disk defrag.  Some people will go to the extent of doing a "clean" install every year, to assure optimal performance.

Inceasing memory will generally improve system performance and reduce response times (for that multi-tasker in all of us); video/photo editing, creating CD/DVD, gaming (don't laugh) etc.

You can click here to get a general sense of the cost to increase your memory.

But personally, I find a clean install priceless.  Provided you have the time and everything back-up.  Right.    
NiteHawk
Sony Addict
Sony Addict

by claudio » Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:18 pm

What operating system do you have? I think the biggest things to slow down a computer are free disk ratio, memory and how many programs you have running/using processes. Clean install is the best like NiteHawk says but it takes the most time to do. If you do what NiteHack says by cleaning hard drive, disk defrag, check what items you have in your startup menu. Also, if you run "msconfig" in the start command line, you can see what runs on startup.

Also, memory definitely helps and with the cheap cost of memory, it always good to upgrade to the most memory possible. I know that XP needs a minmium of 1 gb and at least 2gb to run somewhat smoothly.
Founder
Agoraquest
claudio
Sony Addict
Sony Addict

by africangrey650 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:58 am

Hi Nitehawk & Claudio

Just a quick note of appreciation - many thanks to both of you for your very helpful comments/advice.

Just so you know - I've gone down the upgrade route and installed the maximum amount of memory for this machine - 2gb and what a difference; it is significantly faster!!!! (For the record, my o/s is XP).

I'll be honest, I'm a little nervous of the "clean install" route but will look into it further  - one of the main things I am concerned about is my emails etc in Outlook - but I'm sure there is a way round that somewhere - most other issues relating to the "clean install" process look achievable but as you say time consuming!!! I do carry out routine maintenance on a fairly regular basis & yes that helps too - clearing out the "temp" folders make a big difference!!!

Once again, many thanks for your help.

Cheers
africangrey650
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

by claudio » Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:25 am

I'm glad we could help. In almost every case, the best way to increase speed is by increasing the ram. Also, running a disk defrag and cleaning the main disk drive partition always help.Usually the main disk partition is the C: drive.

Also, check to see what processes are running and see if you need them.
Founder
Agoraquest
claudio
Sony Addict
Sony Addict

Return to Computers Installation