[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 35: Use of undefined constant topic - assumed 'topic' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
Agoraquest • View topic - How to get my NWZ-A816 to play

Advanced search
It is currently Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:09 am
Please Login or Register to take advantage of all of our forum benefits.

View topic - How to get my NWZ-A816 to play

How to get my NWZ-A816 to play

This forum is geared towards CLIE Handhelds device

Moderator: jttar

by Lst » Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:47 am

Help !

I purchased a NWZ- A816 4gb Sony Walkman. It worked great for about five months and then I started to encounter some problems.

First problem was when I hooked it up to my PC and it would not recognize the device. Then it would not play. I tried to charge it via the PC USB hookup and it did not seem to work.

Now I can hook up the Walkman to the USB Hub and it does recognize the player; shows in explorer as WALKMAN. It also shows a Walkman screen, on the player, and then says that it is 'connecting'. Then a battery icon appears and in a short while it shows 'full'.

I can go to the Windows Media Player (version 11) and actually bring up something stored on the player and it plays. The basic player menu does not appear during this, all it shows when left connected is that it is 'connecting'.

Once I disconnect the player from the Hub (I also tried other USB hookup slots, as well) and the player does not show any menu and as a result I cannot navigate the player at all.

In layman's terms the player won't work or play. I notice on the back that there is a slide button that says 'hold' and I am not sure what position it should be in, or if the setting actually interferes with the playing or showing the menu or songs that I have on the player.

I pressed and held the 'option' button on the front and nothing happens.

I had called Sony and they said to uninstall the Walkman from the Device Manager. The player showed up as an MTP Device with a Driver of 02-22-06 Version 5.25326.4762 and once I did this it was gone, forever.  I wonder if anyone could provide this driver and I could reinstall it?

Now it's assigned to a USB Mass Storage Device with a Driver of 07-01-01 Version 5.12600.0 and it does recognize the player, as described above, but I don't know if this is the correct hookup or method, as it still won't play when it's disconnected from the computer.

Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated so that I can determine if this player actually works, or if I should toss it.
Lst
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

by Lst » Sat Sep 20, 2008 5:44 am

I took the player to Best Buy and the tech told me that the battery would not hold a charge.

Does anyone know where I could get a parts list for a Sony NWZ-A816?   OR
a site that I could search for a replacement battery?
Lst
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

by Toli » Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:59 pm

Lst,

Try www.partstore.com and www.ued.net. You can find parts lists and you can also order parts at both sites.

Toli

Toli
Sony Legend
Sony Legend

by Lst » Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:23 pm

Thanks Toli for the information. I did find a battery, verified it with Sony, and it was supposed to work.. wrong, different connector size/type, although same battery specs, but now have an extra battery, for something.

I put the NWZ-A816 back together, after discovering the battery connector issue, and for the heck of it hooked it up to the PC and bingo bango it took and held an almost complete charge. Still works today  

It appeared to me, after taking photos before trying to replace the battery and taking photos after I reassembled it that the wiring/connector was different in it's layout inside the player, and may have had a role in making the player work again?
Lst
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

by Toli » Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:35 am

Lst,

I suppose that's possible. It may have a bad solder joint or something like that, and when you put it back together things ended up in the right place. Either way I am glad it's working again.   

Toli

Toli
Sony Legend
Sony Legend

Return to CLIE Handheld