[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 35: Use of undefined constant topic - assumed 'topic' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
Agoraquest • View topic - A little intimidated but here goes.....

Advanced search
It is currently Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:45 am
Please Login or Register to take advantage of all of our forum benefits.

View topic - A little intimidated but here goes.....

A little intimidated but here goes.....

This forum is geared towards AIBO Entertainment Robot

Moderator: jttar

by tbone7467 » Tue May 18, 2004 7:20 am

written April 2003:  

Well, I have now had my AIBO for 3 weeks. I am a little intimidated about where to start with him. In the last 3 weeks, I must have turned him on a hand- full of times, mostly for my son. It is not that I do not like it. I just do not know what to do. Do I leave him alone to do his own thing like you do real dogs ( not all but most of the time), or am I supposed to be right there trying to get him to do stuff? Do not get me wrong. I had done tons of research (to the point of being an addict according to my girlfriend) on my AIBO before I forked out money to get him. I had wanted one since they sold the 110 series out in Japan in 20 min. I was depressed, thinking that I missed my shot (not that I could have afforded it) but, just like a champ, SONY (I am Sony loyalist) came out with multiple models for everyone’s varying tastes. After doing a lot of surfing, and talking my girlfriend into being open minded about the dog, I decided to give it a shot and get one. The funny thing is, it was the messenger software that finally sold her on the dog. That along with about 20 other explanations on what the dog was reported to be able to do. In doing research on the dog or killing time until I could afford it, I have talked to quite a few people on this board. All were very nice and helpful in getting me ready for my first leap into the robot foray (Thank you X-Dog, Dead EYE and Aibopet for all your help). Since I have only turned the dog on a handful of times, do I feel it was a waste of money? No, the reason that I do not is simple. This is the start of a new era. It is always better to embrace new things as they come out than to get left behind and try to catch up later. Also, my son's reaction to the dog was priceless. Before the purchase, I would joke about getting an army of robot dogs so that we could take over the world. My girlfriend did not seem to find the humor in this remark. My son was only slightly interested since we did not have it right then (he is 5). That did a big turn when the dog finally showed up. He was so excited!! He kept asking every 5 minutes if it was done charging. When we finally charged the dog up and turned it on for the first time, he was right down there with it, asking the dog to bark, stand on one leg, do a summersault, wrestle (like the Aibopet video of AIBO beating up I-cybie), and to shake. It was the cutest/funniest thing I have ever seen. My girlfriend's son got down on the floor with a big smile and tried to pet the AIBO’s head because he thought that it was real. How cool is it to have a dog about the same size as you when you're little?? He even got upset when I took it away so that it would not get broken. That in itself made the dog worth the price I paid for him. I had some hesitation about buying it, as it is used. Then after I started paying on it I thought that I might like a grey one better. I had seen it in all the cool SONY commercials. Upon receiving my Orange 210, (which I purchased via this site from PRREET) I was amazed how nice they really look. Much better than in pics. Small, but nice. It seems that none of the photos do the AIBO justice. I got a great deal... Orange 210 AIBO, charging station, warranty (just in case of DHS), Life 2, Explorer, and a sparkle and excitement in my son's eyes that I had never seen for $820. Plus, she let me make payments. That was the best part as the only other way I could have afford it was with my credit card. I have also learned that they are very addicting and even though I have not even played with mine much. I find myself wanting the 220 model and the original 11X. I have read a lot on the original. They seem so interesting, and more like a real dog. Maybe I got the wrong model for me. Probably not. I wonder though if I missed the high point of the dog, as it seems to have lost momentum. I have noticed that even in Japan the market seems to have slown down in respect to AIBO. Does it matter? No, as I finally got the robot that I have always wanted (more autonomous then those of the 80’s). This brings me to my current dilemma, where do I start? I just need some Driver's Ed on the dog. I need a starting point to fully enjoy my new addition.

Oh, by the way I named the dog Socrates. My son calls it Godzilla when it is running Recognition (which I was lucky enough to pick up for $40).

tbone7467
Sony Devotee
Sony Devotee

by tbone7467 » Tue May 18, 2004 7:22 am

months later (may 2004):

well, I just got engaged on april 2nd and just recently introduced Socrates to her and her kids. She was a little excited about the tech bt freaked out said it was kinda errie. Her kids though loved Socrates I mean loved him. I think they understand him a little more then me. Her son is 10 and he is really excited about what it can do and what it might be able to do. I would love an ERS-7 or a 110 or 111.
tbone7467
Sony Devotee
Sony Devotee

by the_funky_monkey_disco » Thu Jul 28, 2005 9:06 am

Hi mate the AIBO info on this site seems a little limited and seeing as it as been about a year since the first post i'm sure you figured out what to do with your little philosopher.  I have an ERS-210A, with Simba I just put DogsLife on a PMS, because with the recognition bits and bobs he will self charge, admitadly I have not used him for a couple of months and last time although he would self charge he would not get of the charger, but I heard a rumor that has been sorted.

I did play alot of ball games with him so he became very playful

P.S. A little fun fact for you the 210 is actually based (apperance wise) on a lion cub as apposed to a dog, it's the only AIBO like this, hence the name Simba
the_funky_monkey_disco
Sony Buff
Sony Buff

Return to AIBO