[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 35: Use of undefined constant topic - assumed 'topic' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4779: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4781: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
Agoraquest • View topic - TA-N77ES and TA-E80ES (Is it worth the price?)

Advanced search
It is currently Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:55 am
Please Login or Register to take advantage of all of our forum benefits.

View topic - TA-N77ES and TA-E80ES (Is it worth the price?)

TA-N77ES and TA-E80ES (Is it worth the price?)

This is the place for where you can post links to great Sony related deals that you found on the internet. You can also lists products that you want. Also, groupbuys deals are listed.

Moderator: jttar

by David_S » Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:33 am

moardie-I am putting together the list of materials I used for mods to the TA-E80ES.
TA- N77ES, E77ES, E80ES, E9000ES
STR- GX10ES, DA4ES, DA5700ES
DVP- NS999ES
HAP-S1, MDS-JA20ES, ST-S730ES
RM- AX4000, AX1400
APM-55W, APM-33W
David_S
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

by moardie » Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:19 am

Thanks a lot! I will get to work!
moardie
Sony Buff
Sony Buff

by David_S » Sun Aug 02, 2015 12:15 am

Soldering-You say that you are relatively new at soldering. I suggest that you buy an inexpensive functional used component to practice on. It is very easy to damage solder pads on a PC board. Also use a static ground strap to prevent static damage.

Solder- Cardas Quad Eutectic Solder

RCA jacks- Vampire Wire CM2F/CB inside mount, outside nut.

Wires from RCA jacks to PCB- FURUTECH Alpha-18, 18 awg hook up wire (20 awg would be easier to work with & fit through holes in PCB)

Jumper wires on PCB-OCC6N 99.999% 20 awg Solid-Core Bare Hook-Up Wire. I put 3 layers of heat shrink on the jumper wires to have the wire raised farther above the PCB to reduce noise interference from circuit traces on the opposite side of the PCB.

Electrolytic capacitors-
In order of preference (depending on size/voltage availability & physical fit onto PCB)
Nichicon KZ
Nichicon FG
Elna Cerafine
Elna Silmic II

Power supply caps- Nichicon KG Series (I often do not replace good power supply caps, physical size of replacement caps is frequently a challenge to fit into the board).

NOTE: I test all new caps before installation.

Case & chassis damping material- SoundCoat 1.2mm GP-3 sheet.

Power cord- (I didn't get too fancy here, you can get a lot of info on Maxxwire's "The AC Power Principals In Action" thread) 3 wire 14 awg cord soldered directly to PCB & Hubbell hospital grade plug. I also have the chassis of the E80ES grounded. Note that grounding the chassis can cause ground loop hum. I will test with the chassis grounded/ungrounded to determine which is best.

I also remove connectors from one end of internal wire harnesses & solder those wires direct to the PCB. I do not solder both ends of wire harnesses direct to the PCB because that can make future disassembly more difficult.

Op-Amps-for your info the op-amps some modders have changed in the TA-E80ES are IC401 & IC402. They are in the CD balanced in & pre-out balanced out circuits. Only use of balanced rear connectors would make upgrading these op-amps worthwhile.
DVP- NS999ES
RM- AX4000, AX1400
APM-55W, APM-33W
David_S
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

by moardie » Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:49 am

Any thoughts on Vampire wires Xhadow RCA's? http://www.vampirewire.com/viewitem.php?productid=16

Also where do you buy all your parts? I am looking up places online currently.

As far as power cords, I think I will go for a Furutech power cord similar to one in Maxxwire's thread.
moardie
Sony Buff
Sony Buff

by David_S » Thu Aug 06, 2015 2:16 am

The Vampire wires Xhadow RCA's look very interesting, well built & get very good reviews. Vampire wire has 2 sizes of these, 7mm & 9.7mm. Make sure the RCA connectors you get fits the interconnect wire you use. I use FURUTECH FA-13S Balance Interconnect 2x16 AWG Solid Core ì-OFC interconnect wire, it is 8.0mm diameter.

I get most of my parts from Parts ConneXion (http://www.partsconnexion.com/index.html) in Burlington Ontario.
DVP- NS999ES
RM- AX4000, AX1400
APM-55W, APM-33W
David_S
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

by Serial1990 » Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:25 pm

The E80ES seems to be priced in a range you would expect as long as audiophile caps were used.

Guten Kaufs macht den Beutel leer.
Serial1990
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

by moardie » Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:57 pm

Right now I am practicing on other gear before attempting mods on my E80ES
moardie
Sony Buff
Sony Buff

Previous

Return to Great Sony Deals