[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 35: Use of undefined constant topic - assumed 'topic' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4779: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4781: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
Agoraquest • View topic - TA-N77ES and TA-E80ES (Is it worth the price?)

Advanced search
It is currently Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:35 am
Please Login or Register to take advantage of all of our forum benefits.

View topic - TA-N77ES and TA-E80ES (Is it worth the price?)

TA-N77ES and TA-E80ES (Is it worth the price?)

This is the place for where you can post links to great Sony related deals that you found on the internet. You can also lists products that you want. Also, groupbuys deals are listed.

Moderator: jttar

by moardie » Sat Jul 18, 2015 10:50 am

So 2 things

1) I am searching for both a TA-N77ES and a TA-E80ES

2) They came up locally, but I wanted some input on the price and whether people here thought the gear was worth it.

The person I was going to buy both from wants $1400 for both, (about 400 on the TA-E80ES and $1000 on the TA-N77ES) keep in mind I am local, paying cash.

They are in great condition, but the TA-E80ES is missing a two pieces of veneer and the remote.

Here is a list of the repairs done on the TA-E80ES and TA-N77ES in 2008

TA-E80ES (cost $160)
1) Resoldered P.C. boards
2) Replaced caps
3) Cleaned all switches and controls
4) Tightened ground screws

TA-N77ES (cost $160)
1) Replaced Speaker relays
2) Replaced Display bulbs
3) Resoldered P.C. boards
4) Replaced Power switch
5) Cleaned all switches and controls

in 2014 more work was done on the TA-N77ES (cost $620)

1) Replaced Lamps
2) Dismounted Transistors from Heat Sink
3) Straightened all transistor pins & remounted & aligned on Heat Sink
4) Installed output module on main chassis
5) Supplied all missing screws and hardware
6) Traced Located and repaired Several Cold Solder joints on PCB
7) Traced Located and repaired Blown PC/Board Foil traces
8) Traced located and repaired bad ground connections(s)
9) Reset Bias for Min THD @ 117 volt AC line
10) Checked output power and bias @ 117 volt AC line
11) Reset DC offset balance 2 than 10MV Both channels
12) Checked DC offset balance
13) Calibrated VU meters/Bargraph display(s)
14) Reconditioned switch(es) and/or control(s)
15) Cleaned and lubricated switch(es) and/or control(s)
16) Cleaned PC Board(s) Front Panel Chassis
17) Reset muting levels

So is this a good deal? I am local so I would think the price would be less. Also anyone know where I can get the RM-S806/RM-S808(v) remote for the TA-E80ES?
moardie
Sony Buff
Sony Buff

by David_S » Sat Jul 18, 2015 3:33 pm

The N77ES sounds like it had a rough life. It sounds like this amp had possible previous poor quality repairs that needed to be corrected. I have seen mint condition N77ES amps sell for $1400 for the amp alone. Good N77ES amps don't go up for sale often but $1000 for a N77ES that needed that much major repair work, that is a tough decision. I would question reliability, workmanship of the recent repairs & if all replaced components are identical to original components or exceed specs of original components. Reliability is very important, future repairs will be harder to do on a patched up circuit board & cosmetics should in be perfect mint condition for $1000, I would still try to negotiate lower on this. Compare to a recent ebay N77ES listing (meter lamps not working) that sold for $708.

The E80ES seems to be priced in a range you would expect as long as audiophile caps were used. These are available less often then the N77ES amp & IMO the E80ES is a better preamp then the E77ES (I have 1 of each). The remote is seldom available for the E80ES, it also uses a different command set then Sony AV1 or AV2. I control my E80ES with a Sony RM-AX4000 (code set 4001) or Sony Tablet S.
TA- N77ES, E77ES, E80ES, E9000ES
STR- GX10ES, DA4ES, DA5700ES
DVP- NS999ES
HAP-S1, MDS-JA20ES, ST-S730ES
RM- AX4000, AX1400
APM-55W, APM-33W
David_S
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

by moardie » Sat Jul 18, 2015 6:29 pm

Well, I asked the guy if he would sell just the TA-E80ES and he told me that he would not without the TA-N77ES, also this popped up on craigslist (about an hour drive from me) http://newjersey.craigslist.org/ele/5118176740.html

I asked if anything had ever been repaired and he told me no, and that it works perfectly. I also managed to get him down to $400?

I just didn't want to take the drive.

The other guy was closer, but I was wary on the N77ES price. I offered $1000 for both originally, but he wouldn't take it. I could maybe try to get him down to $1100?

Also I wanted to ask you about your TA-E80ES mods. Are they similar to http://www.audio-horizons.com pre-amp upgrades? Because your TA-E80ES looks fantastic!
moardie
Sony Buff
Sony Buff

by David_S » Sun Jul 19, 2015 4:31 pm

I have not done the research to get involved with upgrading op-amps & diodes, but my cap & wiring upgrades on the E80ES seem to fall into a similar pattern to those upgrades done by Audio-Horizons.

The New Jersey E80ES definitely seems worth checking out. The list the seller has indicates that he might be a good contact for future acquisitions or trades.
DVP- NS999ES
RM- AX4000, AX1400
APM-55W, APM-33W
David_S
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

by moardie » Sun Jul 19, 2015 7:46 pm

He just told me that he has a sale pending.
moardie
Sony Buff
Sony Buff

by David_S » Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:00 pm

That is too bad, sometimes good working & looking vintage ES components do not show up often.
DVP- NS999ES
RM- AX4000, AX1400
APM-55W, APM-33W
David_S
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

by moardie » Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:41 pm

Well, the ad is still up on craigslist. I am going to send a message tomorrow to see if the sale went through. I hope for the best!
moardie
Sony Buff
Sony Buff

by moardie » Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:13 am

So a mint with original box and manual TA-N77ES has come up. It never had any issues, but has gone through a "full" servicing this year and light replacement this year. The seller wants $1100 for it. I was wondering if this deal was too good to pass up. Also I bought a TA-E80ES. It needs new veneer on the side panels, but that is easy to get. Actually I am going to have new real wooden sides made because it is only like $10 more.

I was wondering what parts you used other than the ones listed in your thread for the upgrade, and if the upgrade was really worth doing. I know Axel on Thevintageknob says that the TA-E80ES needs some upgrades to be brought to full speed, but I didn't really know what that meant. Lastly am I making a mistake going for an N77ES instead of an N80ES? I really like the meters and I didn't think it would make that much of a difference.

Thanks
-Max

PS I was thinking of bidding on the one in Canada but I wasn't sure how shipping to the US would work. (Even though the guy in Canada is closer to me than the guy I would buy the TA-N77ES from here.
moardie
Sony Buff
Sony Buff

by David_S » Sun Jul 26, 2015 8:56 pm

TA-E80ES:
My E80ES mods were re-routing wiring, upgrade all jumper wires on PC boards, replace electrolytic caps, replace all rear RCA connectors, upgrade power cord, install a 47K ohm resistor between the power transformer housing & ground. The improvements are quite noticeable & I would do them again.

I previously stated that I have not done research on different op-amp models or got into replacing them, these are the mods The Vintage Knob refers to. Some modders also get into upgrading rectifier diodes on power supply boards. Here is an Audiogon discussion regarding op-amps in the TA-E80ES .

I also replaced the memory on the capacitor on the microcomputer board. This capacitor was dead. My experience shows that to be quite common with this type of memory capacitor.

TA-N77ES:
N77ES & N80ES specs are almost identical. You would probably not be able to hear any difference between the two. The N80ES always sells for quite a lot less then a similar condition N77ES. $1100 for a mint condition N77ES is within the price range that they have sold for. It is quite common for the N77ES meter lights to fail, they are incandescent bulbs. I replaced the meter lights in my N77ES with diodes & resistors in series with the diodes.

Is it a mistake going for an N77ES instead of an N80ES? Not if you are willing to pay the price difference for the meters. I kept one of the 3 N80ES amps that were part of a local large group lot purchase 2 years ago. I would keep the N77ES over the N80ES if I could only keep one of the 2 amps.
DVP- NS999ES
RM- AX4000, AX1400
APM-55W, APM-33W
David_S
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

by moardie » Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:39 pm

So, I am relatively new at soldering. My last project was replacing a motherboard on my PS-X600 turntable. Are the mods difficult? I was thinking of tackling this project in baby steps. I would replace the RCA connectors first. I am trying to put a list together of the best options. I imagine that upgrading all jumper wires on PC boards would take a long time so it would be best if I did that myself.

You don't by any chance have a list of the products you used do you? Also how many feet of copper. I remember that you ran out and had to buy more.

I already use the cardas solder. I wasn't exactly sure on the type of vampire wire connectors or the power supply you used.
moardie
Sony Buff
Sony Buff

Next

Return to Great Sony Deals