[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 35: Use of undefined constant topic - assumed 'topic' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4779: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4781: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
Agoraquest • View topic - 40XBR700 - First Impressions

Advanced search
It is currently Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:36 pm
Please Login or Register to take advantage of all of our forum benefits.

View topic - 40XBR700 - First Impressions

40XBR700 - First Impressions

This Forum is for any other questions you might have and for discussions on the latest Sony television news.

Moderator: jttar

by cc2247 » Mon Oct 22, 2001 3:18 pm

The only difference I can see from a technical standpoint between movie and standard, assuming you calibrated with Avia/VE is the color temperature. I always turn off the VSM.

Movie is "warm" and Standard is "neutral".

I actually prefer the neutral after looking at both for awhile and seeing what my eyes prefer.

I guess its a matter of preference.

Look at it also from the perspective of how your room lighting is too.

cc2247
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

by wagie » Mon Oct 22, 2001 10:09 pm

Quote:

On 2001-10-22 19:14, cc2247 wrote:
Wagie,

Go in downloads section on this site and Claudio has a small file I created from text that will tell you how to go into service mode.

Also, the parameters I typed for the 36xbr450 is identical on the 40xbr700 as far as geometry is concerned.

Have fun tinkering, but do be careful!

Lot of $$ to screw up!

The Guy that came down to calibrate my KV-40XBR700 is an ISF Certified Tech. He is also a contributing writer for "Home Theater Magazine" and Cnet. He recently reviewed the New MONSTER Power Supply unit. He worked on my set for approximately 2 hours, and this is what he came up with:
100IRE PreCalibration 6950, Post Calibration 6500. 90IRE Pre 6900, Post 6500. 80IRE Pre 6900, Post 6500, 70IRE Pre 6800, Post 6500, 65IRE Pre 6750, Post 6500. 60IRE Pre 6700, Post 6450. 55IRE Pre 6550, Post 6450. 50IRE Pre 6400, Post 6450. 45IRE Pre 6200, Post 6450. 40IRE Pre 6000, Post 6400. 30IRE Pre 5850. Post 6400. 20IRE Pre5250, Post 6525. He worked on some geometry issues too, however he stated that this is the best SONY set he's seen so far. (he has not worked on the KD-34XBR2 yet).
He worked on the "Standard" mode in perticular, and now it looks even better then the "movie" and "Pro" modes that I was using before the calibration. He stated that my set is now as close to a "Broadcast standard quality" as you can get. My HDTV and DVD stuff looks unbelievable. My DishNetwork stuff looks good on some channels, crappy on others. TimeWarner Cable is the same, although it's a little worst then satelite.
I just ordered the Video Essentials DVD. Any idea when the new one comes out? Thanks for the feedback about the Service mode. I can see that people here know their stuff. I'm a frequent visitor to audioreview.com and that's how I heard of this place. So far it looks promising. I've been a sony guy from day one. I upgraded from the XBR400, and the XBR250 before that. I can honestly say, that I am truly happy with my newest purchase (XBR700). I was seriously considering the XBR2, but now I'm glad I went with the 700. I used to hate the uneven brightness on the XBR400, the geometry was nowhere near the XBR700 either. The calibrator just confirmed that for me. I use a Toshiba SD-9200 Progressive Scan player with the set, hooked up with Canare component cables. I use a DishNetwork 6000 HDTV receiver for HDTV stuff. Any suggestions on what else can be done to improve stuff? I guess we can never get rid of the pixely appearance of some of the channels. It just bugs me though to see my 32 inch bedroom panasonic look better then the XBR700 on a monday night football game. I hope ABC brings it back to HDTV.
wagie
Sony Enthusiast
Sony Enthusiast

by wagie » Mon Oct 22, 2001 10:13 pm

wagie
Sony Enthusiast
Sony Enthusiast

by ciper » Tue Oct 23, 2001 10:16 am

Thats really good color tracking across the whole range. I had my previous wega isf calibrated and got similar results except not quite as good. Im now convinced that the calibration is more of a priority than I though previously.

I think I may have been misinformed in the past by someone who was an "expert" in the avscience forum. I realize that more than likely any or all the modes could theoretically be adjusted to a perfect image. I guess he may have been oversimplifying saying that "movie mode only lets the full bandwith through"

Sounds cool to me though, Im happy for your good experience.
ciper
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

by wagie » Tue Oct 23, 2001 11:35 pm

Thanks Ciper.
My only problem is that I usually can not leave well enough alone. Meaning that I will probably mess with and tweak the TV some more.
So how do you like your XBR700 so far?
One thing that I really like besides the obviously georgeous picture, is the outside frame of the set. The black (actually dark gray) laquer border surrounding the screen does wonders to 16:9 material. It almost blends right in. I like the remote too. It has a good look and feel to it. Very sleek and elegant.
wagie
Sony Enthusiast
Sony Enthusiast

by ciper » Wed Oct 24, 2001 9:47 am

Well it looks like after research last night ALL THE PICTURE MODES CAN BE EQUAL. The only difference between the service modes are setttings that can be modified within the service menu.

Settings like

upic or picture
ubrt or brightness
ucol or color
uhue or hue
ushp or sharpness
and so on. With enough time these can be modified to match or become new settings as you see fit.
ciper
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

Previous

Return to Television Misc and News