[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 35: Use of undefined constant topic - assumed 'topic' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
Agoraquest • View topic - 40XBR700 - First Impressions

Advanced search
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:46 pm
Please Login or Register to take advantage of all of our forum benefits.

View topic - 40XBR700 - First Impressions

40XBR700 - First Impressions

This Forum is for any other questions you might have and for discussions on the latest Sony television news.

Moderator: jttar

by cc2247 » Wed Oct 17, 2001 6:20 am

WOW! What else can I say?

The set looks stunning on its stand even with the power off.

The image is absolutely stunning (w/DVDs). Since I just upgraded this from the 36xbr450, it is basically the same except for more real estate.

The geometry on this set is much better than the 36xbr450. I will fine tune it after about a week of burn-in. I already went it and made a slight adjustment to the Horiz center, and upper pin.

Calibrated with Avia last nite and the picture seems better than my 36xbr.

The sound system for a built-in set is much better than the 36xbr. It has a built in 15 watt sub that kicks out lows pretty well. Much deeper than the 36.

Look for a full review soon to be posted soon...
cc2247
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

by ciper » Thu Oct 18, 2001 3:15 pm

Are there seperate service level settings to adjust the parameters of the subwoofer? can you modify the cross over freq or at least adjust the level compared to the mains?
ciper
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

by cc2247 » Thu Oct 18, 2001 4:11 pm

I will have to explore the audio area of the service menu. There are additional tables in this menu not found on the 36xbr. Most of the stuff is in the same area, except that there seem to be some additions.

As far as the menu/controls, they both share the same remote.
cc2247
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

by claudio » Sat Oct 20, 2001 9:45 am

The 40XBR700 looks incredible. Is it worth the extra $$$$? It looks like it worth it. Especially with the television stand
Founder
Agoraquest
claudio
Sony Addict
Sony Addict

by cc2247 » Sat Oct 20, 2001 2:35 pm

I love it!

You may not think going from 36 to 40 is a big deal, but increasing the real estate by 25% is BIG!

With 16x9 material, the image is also larger than a 16x9 set. The other set I was looking at was also the 34xbr2.

The set with the matching stand looks cool, even when its not turned on. The only thing I did not like is the way the 2 shelves are designed. They chose looks over functionality. It sure would have been better if the shelves were more rectangular, rather than triangular.

I can't even put 2 pieces side by side since there is only around 33" width. Standard components are 17" wide!

Appearance however, is exemplary. It fits the TV very well, and solid too.

This is the best direct view TV on the market today.

cc2247
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

by cc2247 » Sat Oct 20, 2001 2:39 pm

To Ciper:

Unfortunately, looks as if Sony went the cheap route and to answer your question, the sub cutoff cannot be adjusted (at least from what I can see). I may break down and purchase a service manual to look further.

I am quite pleased with the built-in system however, and the bass does pack a decent punch when needed (certainly not a 5.1 but adequate for OTA material)

The sound overall is very smooth when compared with the one in the 36xbr450.
cc2247
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

by cc2247 » Sun Oct 21, 2001 5:32 am

Ciper: Well upon further inspection of the service menu in the AP area (audio processor), there are adjustable parameters for high cutoff and low cutoff.

cc2247
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

by wagie » Mon Oct 22, 2001 2:42 pm

Quote:

On 2001-10-17 10:20, cc2247 wrote:
WOW! What else can I say?

The set looks stunning on its stand even with the power off.

The image is absolutely stunning (w/DVDs). Since I just upgraded this from the 36xbr450, it is basically the same except for more real estate.

The geometry on this set is much better than the 36xbr450. I will fine tune it after about a week of burn-in. I already went it and made a slight adjustment to the Horiz center, and upper pin.

Calibrated with Avia last nite and the picture seems better than my 36xbr.

The sound system for a built-in set is much better than the 36xbr. It has a built in 15 watt sub that kicks out lows pretty well. Much deeper than the 36.

Look for a full review soon to be posted soon...

I got my XBR700 a week ago. I also sell them on eBay for $3000 plus shipping. Anyway, so far I love it. I has a professional Calibrator come down yesterday to work on it.
He stated that the set really impressed him. He went on to say that it's a drastic improvement over XBR400 and XBR450. Especially with the Geometry. He calibrated the "Standard" setting, which now looks even better then the "Movie" and "Pro" settings I used to use. DVD's and HDTV look absolutely phenomanal on this set, I get HBO, SHO, CBS and a Demo channel in High Definition here in New York via Dish Network. I also get Time Warner cable. I was considering the KD-34XBR2, but I'm glad I went with the XBR700. Don't get me wrong, the XBR2 is a fantastic set, but I like the extra size on the 700. The 700 is actually 3 inches bigger on the 16:9 format.
Regular TV, cable and even satelite look crappy on a lot of channels. Very pixely, kind of like a bad MPEG or something. But this is not the fault of the TV. I attribute this to bandwith allocations by certain stations or show. Like someone said before "garbege in, garbage out". Overall this is one hell of a tv set, and I highly recommend it.
Can someone please instruct me on how to enter the Sony Service Menu on this set? I can't help but tweak and play with my baby.
thanks
wagie
Sony Enthusiast
Sony Enthusiast

by ciper » Mon Oct 22, 2001 3:14 pm

You said the guy came out to adjust the tv, did he enter service mode?

Why are you using the standard mode? As far as I know (as long as this set is the same as previous wega) the movie mode is the only setting to allow the full video bandwith through.

Get your remote handy. Turn off the set. Hit display then 5 then volume up then power. You are now in service menu. Check out the pdf in the files section about the service mode, its helpful.
ciper
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

by cc2247 » Mon Oct 22, 2001 3:14 pm

Wagie,

Go in downloads section on this site and Claudio has a small file I created from text that will tell you how to go into service mode.

Also, the parameters I typed for the 36xbr450 is identical on the 40xbr700 as far as geometry is concerned.

Have fun tinkering, but do be careful!

Lot of $$ to screw up!
cc2247
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

Next

Return to Television Misc and News