[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 35: Use of undefined constant topic - assumed 'topic' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
Agoraquest • View topic - Sony KV-36XBR450 vs 36FV27...

Advanced search
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:12 am
Please Login or Register to take advantage of all of our forum benefits.

View topic - Sony KV-36XBR450 vs 36FV27...

Sony KV-36XBR450 vs 36FV27...

This Forum is for any other questions you might have and for discussions on the latest Sony television news.

Moderator: jttar

by claudio » Thu Sep 20, 2001 10:47 am

It defintely worth paying extra for the XBR 450!!!

Here's why:

The XBR 450 has

CineMotion™ 3-2 pulldown processing, which minimizes picture imperfections created when 24-frame-per-second film is converted to 30-frame-per-second video for TV viewing.

CineMotion helps Sony's Digital Reality Creation™ Multifunction circuitry deliver progressive-scan images with enhanced detail and dimensionality on regular (NTSC) video sources — especially DVD.

Plus with HDTV-ready it will help out when in the future you get a HDTV receiver and you can watch at 1080i.

Furthermore, it has two component video so you can have DVD and the Playstation2 ( Ibelieve it has componet video) at the same time.

The sound is not that great personally. I use a receiver which with the television is awesome.

It's better to spend the extra $500 because this tv will still be a great tv years from now. Plus DTV receiver are going down in price and you can buy one of those in the future.

Also, you should check out the reviews for the XBR 450 under "Reviews" on the left menu.

One last point, you might be able to get a good deal on the internet which might make it a difference of $350 (possible)

Founder
Agoraquest
claudio
Sony Addict
Sony Addict

by ciper » Mon Sep 24, 2001 3:43 pm

I would agree with claudio that Most of the time its worth the extra money. But first we should ask what your point is on even considering either tv? A tv of this size can be had for less, why do you want a wega? If its for the best picture are you watching dvds or cable or games? Do you plan on using a progressive dvd player? More than likely you may want to modify your search to decide between the 36xbr400 and the 36xbr450. The xbr400 can be had for quite a bit less and has a majority of the same features. I would recomend against an fv or fs series as a better deal might be had with another model/brand.
ciper
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

by ciper » Thu Sep 27, 2001 12:08 pm

Well, no reply but take one more thing in mind. The fv model is a standard tv while the xbr model is a high res tv. You basically get half or less the picture that you would with a xbr if you buy the fv
ciper
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

by claudio » Thu Sep 27, 2001 12:13 pm

I agree, personally if you aren't going to get one of the XBR, than you just getting a normal tv. The FS, FV are good but not compared to the XBR.
Founder
Agoraquest
claudio
Sony Addict
Sony Addict

by ciper » Thu Sep 27, 2001 1:27 pm

The original poster should grab a HS model if he wants to save a few bucks
ciper
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

by codetalker » Sat Sep 29, 2001 6:04 am

Actually, I'm not sure the answer is so easy. I'm currently in the market for a 32/36" and I've been researching both the XBR450 and 36FV27. I'm leaning toward the 36FV27........why?

I (and more importantly, the wife and kids) watch primarily analog cable (especially sporting events) and very little DVD. I've read many comments in other forums regarding the DRC and cable and am concerned about pixelation and other artifacts with the DRC/cable combination. I sure wish the DRC could be turned off with the XBR450.

I do agree with one point; I saw the XBR450 with a Toy Story DVD at Circuit City and the picture was stunning.

Anyway, great info on this forum so far. Thanks.
codetalker
Sony Buff
Sony Buff

by claudio » Mon Oct 01, 2001 7:28 pm

In your situation, I would probably also go with the 36FV27. If you only use analog cable and barely use the dvd player. You wouldn't be taking advantage of the XBR features.

And there are some great deals on the 36KV27.

But I'm sure you will be happy with the 36KV27
Founder
Agoraquest
claudio
Sony Addict
Sony Addict

by MB500 » Sat Oct 06, 2001 4:48 pm

I am brand new to this forum, as of today, and this line of discussion is exactly why I joined.

After a fair amount of reading reviews and articles on TVs I decided that for my needs it was a tose up between the KV-36XBR450 and the 36HS20. Then I start going to the show rooms and talking to the sales guys. 2 out of 3 recommended the 36FV27, @ $500 less. It should be noted hear that in the Dallas area I can purchase either the HS36 or the XBR450 for the same price, $2099. With everything I've read on this site I don't plan on using an Internet purchase.

I said wait a minute, You work on commission and you are recommending a TV that is $500 less that what I wanted? They then explained (different companies, locations and sales reps) almost the same story. That if I mostly watch cable and only 1-2 DVDs a week then it would be a waist of $$ to buy the HS or XBR. Why, because the picture was fuzzy, even slightly blurred on the HS and XBR models when connected to the local cable connection. They even went so far as to demonstrate on the floor models. And while there is no question that the HS and XBR were surperior on DVD, the FV had a better picture on standard cable. Boy am I confussed now. I really want the split screen pip function on the HS and XBR (I'm a BIG CNN junky) but not at the expense of 90% of my viewing time. The PIP on th FV model is not really acceptable to me. So what do you guys think? Perfect world I could get the split screen with the FV.
MB500
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

by ciper » Sat Oct 06, 2001 7:23 pm

Well the "blurry" picture they described and showed you only applys when you have a crappy incoming signal. On mine i got pretty bad cable and it looks worse on the xbr. A good freind of mine recently got an hs20 on my recomendation and on his digital cable its not that bad. although this is not a viable solution for everyone i found the best image i can get is by using my vcr and then using an external deinterlacer to input a 480p picture. The image is perfect this way. The issue is that any 480i signal input to the wega is automatically upconverted to 1080i.

How is the quality of the signal at your house? Do you use satelite or digital cable?
ciper
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

Next

Return to Television Misc and News