[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 35: Use of undefined constant topic - assumed 'topic' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
Agoraquest • View topic - Grand Wega KDF-E42A10 4 blinking lights

Advanced search
It is currently Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:35 pm
Please Login or Register to take advantage of all of our forum benefits.

View topic - Grand Wega KDF-E42A10 4 blinking lights

Grand Wega KDF-E42A10 4 blinking lights

This Forum is questions on any problems you could have with your Sony Televsion set (i.e. Sony Wega grainess problem, cable problems, so forth)

Moderator: jttar

by sunhaven » Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:38 am

I have an older Grand Wega LCD Projection TV model KDF-E42A10 that is suddenly not turning on. When plugged in the power/standby LED will flash green while it is warming up and then it shuts off and the power/standby light will flash red 4 times, pause and then flash 4 times and on and on. I have replaced the lamp with an original Sony bulb - the XL2400. It is a older bulb that was replaced before it died and is still in working order and still the 4 flashing light. I have made sure that the door was closed properly etc.

I am wondering if any knows what the 4 blinking lights mean. does anyone have access to the service manual for this model TV.

I see in a post the jehill has packages with excerpts from the relevant service manuals and I see a package listed there that may be helpful. It is called "Intermittant shut down, blinked 4 times/KDFE50A10" and I am wondering if jehill could forward me this package.

Any help that could be provided to resolve this problem would be greatly appreciated. This is still a great TV and I would hate to throw it out. Thank you in advance.
sunhaven
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

by jehill » Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:48 pm

For the KDFE42A10, 4 blinks, pause, 4 blinks, etc. of the red standby light means "Fan stopped" and the probable cause locations listed are as follows:

1. Fan 1-4 power is not supplied (AGU board).
2. Fan connector is not attached securely.
3. Fan caught wires or harnesses.

This is the starting point for a qualified service technician.

If you are up to it, I would recommend opening up the set and inspecting all of the fans to determine if any are clogged with dirt or not running. You need the service manual to determine the fan locations. You may download the service manual at http://elektrotanya.com/sony_kdf-e42a10 ... nload.html. Look below the document preview and wait until you see a Get Manual link. Click it when you see it.

When you remove the rear cover, you will see two of the fans. Scan the DISSASEMBLY photos to see how to remove the fans. Also, look at the EXPLODED VEWS, specifically, 5-3. LAMP DUCT ASSEMBLY, OPTICS UNIT BLOCK.

Good luck!
jehill
Sony Senior Advisor
Sony Senior Advisor

by sunhaven » Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:26 pm

Thank you for the detailed response. That is exactly the information I was looking for. I will be having a go at fixing the TV this weekend and I will update this thread with my progress.
sunhaven
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

by sunhaven » Wed May 06, 2015 11:21 pm

Thank You JEHILL. The TV is fixed!! When I removed the rear cover, I found the two fans and the interior components coated in a very thick layer of dust. I used the air compressor to blow out the dust coating the fans and the other components. I aimed the compressed air into the innards of the TV to remove as much dust as possible. I plugged the TV in at this point and it powered up and the picture came on. The 4 blinking red lights was gone!!! Thank you so much for the information. It is a great sense of accomplishment to save a perfectly good TV from the garbage pile by applying a little fix-it know how.
sunhaven
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

by jehill » Thu May 07, 2015 2:58 pm

It was a pleasure to be of assistance!
jehill
Sony Senior Advisor
Sony Senior Advisor

Return to Television Troubleshooting