[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 35: Use of undefined constant topic - assumed 'topic' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4779: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4781: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
Agoraquest • View topic - KDL-55NX720 Problem

Advanced search
It is currently Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:24 pm
Please Login or Register to take advantage of all of our forum benefits.

View topic - KDL-55NX720 Problem

KDL-55NX720 Problem

This Forum is questions on any problems you could have with your Sony Televsion set (i.e. Sony Wega grainess problem, cable problems, so forth)

Moderator: jttar

by J_Palmer_Cass » Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:07 pm

I am having a problem with a Sony KDL-55NX720.

The picture is flickering - brightness flickering. Eventually, the frame rate slows down (skipping frames) to a single frame lockup.

The sound remains normal at all times.

No trouble codes on the LED readout.

When I activate the self check screen, the only error code that comes up is the following code:
103 Host_WDT, with 13 activations of this code.

Does anyone know what this code means? It is not noted in my service manual.
J_Palmer_Cass
Sony Buff
Sony Buff

by jehill » Mon Nov 03, 2014 4:03 pm

I assume that you are looking at the Service/Training Manual AZ2-F Chassis Segment 3a-1? I would checkout the Flow Charts in Section 5. If the brightness is flickering, that could indicate that there is a problem with the backlighting circuitry, i.e. the panel, or possibly the G7 board (backlight inverter). I am not sure if that could cause single frame lockup. The video processing is performed by the BATL board. That's also where the HOST is. I would try replacing the BATL board first. If that doesn't correct the problem, I would try the G7 board. If that doesn't correct the problem, all that is left is the panel. Go to www.tristatemodule.com and search for kdl55nx720 to see what parts are available. You need to get the serial number off the white tag on each board to be sure that you order the right card. If card replacement doesn't correct the problem, you can return the card and they will refund 80% of the price you paid. There is a 20% restocking fee. It will take a couple of months to get the refund.
jehill
Sony Senior Advisor
Sony Senior Advisor

by J_Palmer_Cass » Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:06 am

I received the BATL board today from Tristatemodules. It was the last available BATL board that I could find anywhere. A potential problem is the service firmware that is supposed to be downloaded from the Sony service portal.

Anyhow, I should be able to measure the output voltage of the G7 board. That power supply voltage feeds the LD board (local dimming). The TCON board drives the LCD screen as well as the LD board. The BATL board drives the TCON board.

The problem could be in any of the three boards. The TCON board has more than one version, so I have to take the TV apart to know for sure what part number is being used.

I might check all the board interconnects first after I take the TV apart. I may also just order the TCON board and try that before I try the BATL board, but that is up in the air right now.
Attachments
KDL-55NX720_Chassis-Overview_Signal.JPG
KDL-55NX720_Chassis-Overview_Signal.JPG (110.99 KiB) Viewed 17746 times
KDL-55NX720_Chassis-Overview_Power.JPG
KDL-55NX720_Chassis-Overview_Power.JPG (91.82 KiB) Viewed 17746 times
KDL-55NX720_Chassis-Overview.JPG
KDL-55NX720_Chassis-Overview.JPG (82.82 KiB) Viewed 17746 times
J_Palmer_Cass
Sony Buff
Sony Buff

by J_Palmer_Cass » Thu Nov 06, 2014 6:18 pm

Today I took the TV set apart. It is a good thing that I read the service manual. The service manual gives details for all of the screws that have to be removed from various locations.

I doubt that there is a problem with the LED circuits because when I watch a 4 x 3 picture, the black bars on the right and left hand side of the screen do not flash along with the video flashing. In addition while I was documenting the setting in the service menu, the screen faded out to black a few times or I could not advance the service menu items.

The first thing I looked at was the part number of the TCON board. I have the suffix H TCON board that is out of stock at Tri-state Module. The flow charts indicate the problem area could be the BATL or the TCON board.

Anyhow, I installed the new BATL board. Just as I expected, the RED and AMBER LED's flashed on the front of the TV. This means that I have to flash the firmware. I do not have a USB drive, so I have to run out and pick one up. Hopefully the latest firmware on the Sony web site is the correct firmware to get this board up and running.

Does anyone have any experience installing firmware in a new board?
J_Palmer_Cass
Sony Buff
Sony Buff

by J_Palmer_Cass » Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:15 am

Well I changed the BATL board to the new unit.

I bought a new USB flash drive, and downloaded the firmware from the Sony web site. The firmware upgrade from the USB flash drive had to be performed many times before I got it to take. Finally, the firmware installed. However, the original problem was still there after I turned on the TV with the firmware installed in the new BATL board..

I then went into the service menu. I had to change the model number to the KDL-55NX720 model number. I turned off the tv and then turned it back on. Same problem.

Then I went back into the service menu. The model number was wrong again. I changed the model number to KDL-55NX720 and then saved it to memory per the service manual. After I did that, the next time I started the TV the entire picture was black with white stripes across the bottom few inches of the TV. I could not see any video on screen to check the service menu settings or anything else.

Replaced the new BATL board with the old one, and the same "new" problem was there - no picture.

I turned the TV power to OFF, and then did a bit of research on the web. Nothing new found there, but about a 1/2 hour elapsed. I turned on the TV again, and there was a picture with the original problem. I turned off the TV, and installed the new BATL board back into the TV. The new BATL board worked the same as the old BATL board. The original problem was still there.

As a last resort, I did a factory reset from the service menu. Bingo, the TV works like new.

I installed the original BATL board back into the TV. Bingo, the old board works like new. I did a factory reset with that original BATL board in use. TV still works like new.

My best guess is the factory reset from the service menu resets the BATL board as well as the TCON board. Upon further reading of the service manual, the service manual says that if either the BATL board or the TCON board is replaced that you must update the firmware.

Anyhow, let's see if the TV is still working in the morning.

Jehill, try a factory reset from the service menu on your old TV. See if that does anything at all.
J_Palmer_Cass
Sony Buff
Sony Buff

by jehill » Fri Nov 07, 2014 4:41 pm

I just completed exploring the KDL-55XBR8 service menu. I was unable to find an option to do a factory reset. There is a separated "
jehill
Sony Senior Advisor
Sony Senior Advisor

by jehill » Fri Nov 07, 2014 4:47 pm

I just completed exploring the KDL-55XBR8 service menu. I was unable to find an option to do a factory reset. Where did you find the option in your service menu? There is a separate "RESETTING TO FACTORY DEFAULTS" option that is entered by pressing and holding the up arrow on the remote while pressing the power button on the set, but it only effects User Controls and Channel Memory settings and I couldn't get it to work.
jehill
Sony Senior Advisor
Sony Senior Advisor

by jehill » Fri Nov 07, 2014 5:48 pm

FYI, According to the Self Check Diagnostic List, only one error has occurred during the life of the set, PANEL_ALERT, 5 times. This is consistent with the fact that every 3rd line is missing.
jehill
Sony Senior Advisor
Sony Senior Advisor

by J_Palmer_Cass » Fri Nov 07, 2014 9:28 pm

Only the service manual gives the details for the special factory reset code. There is no line item in the service menu. In addition, there is also a special chip reset line item In the service menu for the KDL-55NX720 . It works like the factory reset but it seems to reset the memory chips in the TCON and / or BATL boards. The firmware is not affected, just data. You have to unplug the TV after the chip reset code is activated to complete the procedure.

Just as a note I wrote down all of the individual settings in the service menu with the original BATL board in place. After the new BATL board was installed in the TV and the new firmware was installed, all the reading were identical except for the TV model number (KDL-46NX720 in red). The H suffix TCON board knows the single model number that is proper for this TV and LCD panel. I am not sure if the service menu data settings relates to the BATL board or the TCON board. TCON board is my guess.

I ran into a problem with the original BATL board this morning. There is some critical tie in between the BATL board and the TCON board in this TV. The TV ran fine for a while, and then the same old problems started up again. The 103 Host_WDT code was activated again. This original BATL board is in the reject pile for the moment.

I installed the new BATL board again, and the same old problems were still there even with the new board installed. The factory reset in the service menu did not correct this. I had to resort to the use of the chip reset function which seems to have corrected all of the problems for the moment.

My best guess is that the TCON board stores the TV setup data, and the original BATL board was corrupting the data in the TCON board. The chip reset had to be used to clean up the data stored in the TCON board.

I intend to purchase a new TCON board, but they are getting to be hard to find.for this model TV.
J_Palmer_Cass
Sony Buff
Sony Buff

by jehill » Sat Nov 08, 2014 4:48 pm

jehill
Sony Senior Advisor
Sony Senior Advisor

Next

Return to Television Troubleshooting