[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 35: Use of undefined constant topic - assumed 'topic' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
Agoraquest • View topic - Sony Wega no picture, odd "donkey" sound

Advanced search
It is currently Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:10 pm
Please Login or Register to take advantage of all of our forum benefits.

View topic - Sony Wega no picture, odd "donkey" sound

Sony Wega no picture, odd "donkey" sound

This Forum is questions on any problems you could have with your Sony Televsion set (i.e. Sony Wega grainess problem, cable problems, so forth)

Moderator: jttar

by susanbyork1 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:46 pm

Hi, we have an older Sony Wega KDF-60WF655. While watching TV the other day, there was a loud pop and screen went black. I assumed from reading the manual that it was a bad lamp. Ordered new lamp and installed it with no trouble. When I powered it back up, the screen is still black and there is an odd sound that honestly sounds like a donkey braying. The green light comes on, but quickly turns to blinking red and then the red light for the lamp comes on.

Any ideas as to what this might be and if it is fixable. The set is older....probably at least 8 years old, but has been a fabulous TV.

Thanks for any help you can offer!
susanbyork1
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

by claudio » Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:53 pm

Hi,

Sounds like a bad lamp. What type of lamp did you order? I believe there are two version of the lamp.

When was the lamp last replaced.

It could be a bad lamp bulb as well. It could be the Optical block as well. I had a version of that TV set and it's a great TV set.

Jehill, is our top guy in this field and he can shed more light into this issue.

Claudio
Founder
Agoraquest
claudio
Sony Addict
Sony Addict

by susanbyork1 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:30 pm

Hi Claudio!

I know this is a dumb question, but what is the difference between the lamp and the lamp bulb? All I have ever replaced is what I think is the bulb. That is what I did right now and there is no change. No picture, still weird braying sound. The bulb I bought was a Phillips replacement bulb. If it is the Optical block, is that something that we can repair ourselves? also if it is the lamp, can we repair that ourselves as well? Any estimates on price for either of those?

Thanks much...love my TV...don't want to say goodbye to it!
susanbyork1
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

by jehill » Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:59 pm

A donkey sound! That's a new one! I always suggest that you replace the "lamp assembly", preferably with one provided by Sony. There is a lamp inside the lamp assembly. Some readers have replaced the lamp and had a bad experience (didn't work or only worked for a short period of time). Check out viewtopic.php?f=20&t=23853&start=400 if your are considering pursuing optical assembly repair yourself.
jehill
Sony Senior Advisor
Sony Senior Advisor

by susanbyork1 » Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:58 pm

Thought you'd enjoy the donkey sound! But truly, that's what it sounds like!! We're wondering if it could be the two gray connection wires, perhaps a short in the wires or something like that. Also, could it be the optical assembly?....I don't think that we're up to that job. I looked at the Sony store and they say that the lamp assembly has been discontinued. Any idea where we could get one? also, where to find a repairman that works on this TV in San Diego area. Thanks much!!
susanbyork1
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

by jehill » Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:03 pm

Thinking about the donkey sound a bit more, I have concluded that the most likely source of the noise is the fan on top of the optical assembly. It's probably clogged with dirt. As such, it probably led to the lamp overheating and failing. The following video does a great job of showing you how to get to and remove the lamp fan:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgZz9pe ... qQ&index=2

Regarding parts, I suspect that you can get whatever you need at www.tristatemodule.com. You might also try Googling the Sony lamp assembly part number to see what you come up with.

Regarding service, I would Google "authorized Sony TV repair service".

Google is your friend. Use it!
jehill
Sony Senior Advisor
Sony Senior Advisor

by susanbyork1 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:26 pm

Claudio....any idea when I might hear back from jehill regarding the sound? Has he heard it yet? I'd be interested in his or your opinion of what you think it sounds like. No pressure.....just wondering.
susanbyork1
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

by jehill » Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:37 pm

Susan:
You need to be patient with me. I only visit the forum once a day. I listened to the file. To me, it sounds like a fan blade hitting something. Is the sound coming from the TV's speakers or it's guts? You need to localize the source of the sound. I would suggest removing the rear cover and carefully listening for the source.

Claudio:
I had to save the audio file before I could listen to it. Can you make it so you hear the file when you click it? Also, I just noticed that the formatting isn't working for me. I just tried to Bold "Susan" and "Claudio" to no avail.
jehill
Sony Senior Advisor
Sony Senior Advisor

by susanbyork1 » Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:40 pm

Sorry about my impatience regarding listening to the sound. Frustration is getting the better of me! I removed the rear of the TV and listened intently to the sound. It appears to be coming directly from behind the fan (the fan that is immediately visible when you remove the back of the TV). I even went as far as to unplug the fan and listen to the noise again with the fan not running. If you put your hand up to the screen of the fan, you can feel the vibration of the noise when it happens. We have a replacement lamp (plus new housing) coming. It was supposed to arrive today, but has been delayed. I will report back when it has arrived and been installed in the TV as to whether or not it solves the issue. Thank you again for all of your help and your patience with me. I can't imagine how difficult it is to try and help someone who describes their electronics issue as a "donkey sound"!
susanbyork1
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

by jehill » Sat Aug 09, 2014 3:06 pm

Here's hoping that the new lamp assembly will resolve your issue.
jehill
Sony Senior Advisor
Sony Senior Advisor

Next

Return to Television Troubleshooting