[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 35: Use of undefined constant topic - assumed 'topic' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
Agoraquest • View topic - KDL-32LL150 Life Expectancy?

Advanced search
It is currently Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:47 pm
Please Login or Register to take advantage of all of our forum benefits.

View topic - KDL-32LL150 Life Expectancy?

KDL-32LL150 Life Expectancy?

This Forum is questions on any problems you could have with your Sony Televsion set (i.e. Sony Wega grainess problem, cable problems, so forth)

Moderator: jttar

by EarlyAdopter » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:13 am

My first flat screen, the KDL-32LL150 which I bought at Costco (made in Mexico) three years ago, recently and quite literally went on the blink.  The picture has ghosts, jitters, flickers, etc.

I called the 1-800-222-SONY support line and, after quite a bit of courteous banter and chit-chat, the rep said that my TV had a life expectancy of about three to four years.  He mentioned dust intrusion as a possibility.  Also, I may have bumped or jolted the unit but I can't recall.

My faithful 1987 KV-20HFR had lasted for 20+ years but CRT and LCD are obviously two different animals.

I plan to get another SONY TV but with slightly lowered expectations now.  I'm still a loyal fan.

Does anyone know how to access the technician service screens for the KDL-32LL150?  I'm just curious.

Thanks.  

EarlyAdopter
Sony Buff
Sony Buff

by jehill » Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:04 am

The KDL-32LL150 does not appear to include a service menu.  However, you may access the self check diagnostic list as follows:

Viewing the Self Check Diagnostic List
1. TV must be in standby mode. (Power off).
2. Press the following buttons on the Remote Commander within a second of each other: DISPLAY, Channel 5, Volume -, TV POWER . The Self Check list displays.

To try entering the service menu, do the same as above, but use Volume + instead of Volume -

jehill
Sony Senior Advisor
Sony Senior Advisor

by EarlyAdopter » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:57 am

jehill,

Thanks for the info.  I'll try that.  I was surprised that any SONY product would have a "built-in obsolescence" but I see that it is intrinsic to the technology until they can make it more robust (without costing $10,000).

By the way, I just noticed your New Jersey location.  Hope you and yours are reasonably okay.

Best,  ~ EA
EarlyAdopter
Sony Buff
Sony Buff

by jehill » Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:29 pm

Fortunately, we are about 45 miles from the shore in an area with no big trees and underground electrical service.  We stayed in our house for two days (Monday and Tuesday) and kept up to date by watching continuous coverage by are local TV stations.  We experienced heavy rain and high winds for a few hours.  We lost power for less than 5 minutes the whole time.
jehill
Sony Senior Advisor
Sony Senior Advisor

Return to Television Troubleshooting