[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 35: Use of undefined constant topic - assumed 'topic' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
Agoraquest • View topic - KV-32HS510 not powering on (5 blinks?) - repair or trash?

Advanced search
It is currently Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:12 am
Please Login or Register to take advantage of all of our forum benefits.

View topic - KV-32HS510 not powering on (5 blinks?) - repair or trash?

KV-32HS510 not powering on (5 blinks?) - repair or trash?

This Forum is questions on any problems you could have with your Sony Televsion set (i.e. Sony Wega grainess problem, cable problems, so forth)

Moderator: jttar

by Pianoman1976 » Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:44 pm

Hello,

The TV will not turn on.  It's as if it starts to, yet it ultimatley can't complete the start up process.

I'm pretty confident that this TV is displaying 5 blinks.  What is the proper procedure for checking this? When unplugged, and plugged back in I see 7 blinks - otherwise, when I press the power button I see 5 blinks.  

I was able to get it to work after leaving it unplugged for many hours and plugging it back in.  I haven't been able to repeat this procedure with any luck following the last time it was turned off.

I'm wondering what the diagnosis is, if I can fix it myself without any professional experience working with circuit boards (but technically apt) or if I should have it professionally repaired.  I bought this TV used for $200 2 years ago and it has been great up until now. How much should this repair cost? I'm wondering how much money is reasonable to spend on such a repair before it starts to make more sense to buy another used TV and trash this one.  

I also have a Samsung HL-R5667W rear projection HDTV which  I was given a couple weeks ago. It worked initially yet I'm having problems with it now.  The picture freezes then goes black.  The picture will return briefly yet then the issue occurs again.  The repair for this Samsung may be  cheaper and easier than the Sony, I'm not sure.  I would like to find the cheapest solution to returning TV time to my family room.  I've got two broken but capable TV's to choose from.

Was hoping to get some advice here.

Thank you.  
Pianoman1976
Sony Buff
Sony Buff

by BobF » Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:25 pm

A fairly common cause for Sony CRT power on problems is a failing MCZ3001D IC on the D-Board.  Most Sony's have two of these 18-pin ICs on the D-Board.

To learn all about this search this forum for "MCZ3001D".

And here's a mention of a succcessful repair of your model in the "XBR400 Dead!" thread:

http://www.agoraquest.com/viewtopic.php?topic=1121&forum=34&start=210&select_page_number=15

See jonathan_doe's post.

The ICs can be found for about $6 each and you would need to do some soldering and desoldering.  But many "non-professionals" including myself have been able to do this.

Sadly, a professional repair will often cost more than the set is worth.  The professional repair estimate for my set was over $400.

Bob

BobF
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

by Pianoman1976 » Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:40 pm

On 2009-11-30 00:25, BobF wrote:

The ICs can be found for about $6 each

Is there a difference between the MCZ3001DB and MCZ3001D?

http://cgi.ebay.com/2-PCS-NEW-ORIGINAL-SONY-MCZ3001DB-MCZ3001D-90day-warran_W0QQitemZ130345836799QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item1e5937a0ff#ht_2879wt_754

Thank you very much for taking the time to help.

Ryan :)

Pianoman1976
Sony Buff
Sony Buff

by BobF » Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:45 am

Ryan,

The MCZ3001D and the MCZ3001DB are interchangeable.  There has been some speculation that the "DB" variant is an improved version.  But I have seen no confirmation of that.

The two MCZ3001D ICs that I installed in my KV-36XBR400 about three years ago continue to operate perfectly.

But, all things being equal, I would opt for the "DB" variant.

Bob
BobF
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

by vicdees » Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:31 pm

How and where can i purchase this mcz3001d ic's
vicdees
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

by walterg » Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:51 am

Model: 32KVHS510

Problem: 6-7 Standby blinks, press power buttonand sometimes get a loud pop, no picture, keep pressing power buttonand would finally get picture and everything worked okay.  After 4days, could not get picture.  Used hair dryer to blow hot air throughlower right side vents (facing tV).  Hair dry method worked for severaldays while waiting on parts.

After researching on this site, Idecided to replace IC6501 and IC8002 located on the "D" PC board (theseare identical chips).  Found  2 Shindengen (part #MCZ3001DB) withsockets for $10 on Ebay.  After replacing the chips, the TV works fine.

Sometips:  1) Download the service manual.  Not absolutely necessary buthelps in locating "D" board and chips.  2) It is possible to replacethe chips without unplugging any components.  However, this willrequire removing about 1.5 inch section of plastic support bracket thatcovers the bottom of one of the chips (the lower one as you look at itin the service position).  I cut through it with a Dremel.  Otherwise,several connectors and the screws that secure the board to the plasticframe will need be removed to get to the bottom of the chip.  3)Desoldering chips -  I purchased a desoldering spring vacuum pump fromRadio shack which I did not find useful at all (wish i had tryeddesoldering braid instead).  Wound up using a tiny steel cylindersleeve from a mechanical pencil to slip over the pins. When the solderis heated, the sleeve will slip down the pin and through the boardbreaking the solder connection to the board.

Be super cautious and don't make yourself a path for stored energy!  
walterg
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

Return to Television Troubleshooting