[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 35: Use of undefined constant topic - assumed 'topic' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
Agoraquest • View topic - KDF-60XS955/KDFE55A20 6 blinking lights issue

Advanced search
It is currently Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:33 pm
Please Login or Register to take advantage of all of our forum benefits.

View topic - KDF-60XS955/KDFE55A20 6 blinking lights issue

KDF-60XS955/KDFE55A20 6 blinking lights issue

This Forum is questions on any problems you could have with your Sony Televsion set (i.e. Sony Wega grainess problem, cable problems, so forth)

Moderator: jttar

by speedbird001 » Wed Apr 05, 2006 8:56 pm

My Sony 55" inch TV is only three months old and while I was watching TV the screen went blank and the power LED flashes red 6 times pauses and flashes 6 more times and repeates itself.  Just wondering what the problem could be and if a service tech is required.  If one is required what can I expect him to say and is this going to cost me lots of cash.  Thanks for the help.
speedbird001
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

by speedbird001 » Wed Apr 12, 2006 1:42 pm

Well the service guy came and replaced the thermal fuse and the TV worked again.  Then a day later the same thing happened.  Picture went blank while watching TV and 6 red flashes on the power LED.  Called them back and they were good enough to come back the next day.  This time they said the fan might not be cooling the fuse causing it to blow.  Fan was working so the tech just replaced the fuse again.  About an hour after he left while watching TV, guess what, the fuse burnt out again with the fan working.  Now I know I don't know anything about these TV's but something else must be wrong.  Anybody know what could possibly be causing this problem.  The service people said they would have to contact Sony.  They also said that there was a service bulletin issued by Sony about these fuses but I sure hope I won't have to be calling them back every day or so.  I think I might just have lemon.  It's only 3 months old.

speedbird001
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

by andyross » Thu Apr 13, 2006 1:13 pm

Those techs are lazy. If it keeps blowing a fuse, that means somethng is pulling too much current. They need to further troubleshoot and find out what part or board is causing the problem. They want to keep pushing it out until the warranty is out and you have to pay big $$$ to fix it.
andyross
Sony Addict
Sony Addict

by jehill » Fri Apr 14, 2006 11:04 am

FYI, six blinks means, "Low B error".  the probable cause listed is as follows:

- No "DD 6V" output (GM board)

Apparently, that's usually caused by the Lamp Thermal Fuse blowing, because the following service bulletin switches to a different style and location:

Document Reference/Event ID: E29102171
Model: KDF55XS955, KDF60XS955, KDFE55A20, KDFE60A20
Subject: No power RED Standby LED flashes 6 times

SYMPTOMS
No power: Standby LED flashes RED 6 times

RESOLUTION
Found Thermal fuse is Open.
Replace Lamp Thermal Fuse to different style and location (See attached for details)

The SB includes the necessary procedure and replacement fuse part number.  Apparently, you didn't go to an authorized Sony servicenter, because if you did, they should have been able to look up this SB.

jehill
Sony Senior Advisor
Sony Senior Advisor

by speedbird001 » Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:06 pm

Well another update to this problem I have been having.  The dealer I am using is an authorized dealer as Sony has told me and now they are telling me (after talking with Sony) that it is most likely my fault.  They are saying that it is a ventilation problem.  Well I don't know what they mean because I have the TV a foot away from the wall in a large room and it is not in a cabinet.  They say they want to take it in to the shop to test it there and see if they can replicate the problem.  At least I am getting some progress out of them.  They have no idea though how long this will take.  It has now been three weeks since the problem arose and it is starting to get frustrating.  Does anyone know what Sony's replacment policy is and if they would even consider something like this for this type of problem?  Anyways just thought I would update everyone and rant just a bit.
speedbird001
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

by jehill » Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:23 pm

Its a shame, but the Canadian service bulletin system is independent of the US service bulletin system.  Why don't you tell them to access the SonyESI site and look at the service bulletin that I referenced?  Clearly, this is a design problem that was resolved in the US.  It's silly for them to reinvent the wheel.
jehill
Sony Senior Advisor
Sony Senior Advisor

by jake40 » Mon Apr 24, 2006 8:56 am

I have the same T.V. and the thermal fuse has gone does anyone know where it is located? As I ordered from Sony and would like to replace myself if possible.

Thank You
jake40
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

by jehill » Mon Apr 24, 2006 8:25 pm

Welcome to Agoraquest!  Did you read the service bulletin that I posted above?  The GM board is the first vertically mounted board from the left on the chassis.  The chassis assembly is on the left side after you have removed the rear cover.  What's the part number of the fuse that you ordered?  If you want a copy of the service bulletin, go to your Inbox at the bottom of the left column and send me (jehill) a private message (PM) with your request.  Be sure to include your e-mail address.
jehill
Sony Senior Advisor
Sony Senior Advisor

by henrybtrue » Thu May 04, 2006 2:56 pm

Well, Lucky me!

Last night my KDF-60XS955 went "snap" and then went dark and quiet with the Red Power/Standby LED blinking 6 times.

Sony's rep this AM told me the Thermal Fuse issue was related to a faulty fuse from the supplier and is a known issue. New parts from a new source are on back order till May 16 or so.

Looks like I'll be watching my "tiny" 27" for a while. Boo Hoo; No Nascar in HD!

Will advise if I learn anything more.

I'd like to have a copy of the SB for reference.

henryb
henrybtrue
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

by B1uetooth » Wed May 17, 2006 9:04 am

I've got this same set (KDFE55A20) and I'm having the same problem. First I had to replace the XL-2200 Lamp (a month ago) and now I see no picture with the power light flashing red 6 times as well. Is this normal for this TV ? I've only had it for about 8 months and it seems like this model is problematic. I'm thinking about getting an extended warranty now. I hate to drop an extra $500 or so but what can I do ? Any suggestions ?

B1ue

B1uetooth
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

Next

Return to Television Troubleshooting