[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 35: Use of undefined constant topic - assumed 'topic' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
Agoraquest • View topic - Sony DCR DVD505 touch screen buttons no longer working

Advanced search
It is currently Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:22 pm
Please Login or Register to take advantage of all of our forum benefits.

View topic - Sony DCR DVD505 touch screen buttons no longer working

Sony DCR DVD505 touch screen buttons no longer working

This Forum is for any other questions you might have

Moderator: jttar

by jttar » Sun Nov 08, 2009 3:59 pm

brimest0ne,

WOW! You really did a nice job on the photos and the step by step instructions.

My personal thanks for all the time you put into taking the pictures and adding the instructions to them. This post will be a great asset to other DCR DVD505 owners.

Again, thank you for your fantastic work.

Joe
jttar
Sony Legend
Sony Legend

by dilkie » Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:05 am

Thanks for the info guys. I folded a piece of paper in four and gave it a try and it worked for me. Saves me having to tell my wife I wasn't going to spend any money on repairs if they were too much.

Hey brimst0ne, what macro lens did you use for those shots? There were awsome!

-lee
dilkie
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

by johnr29 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:31 am

I am excited to try this but don't know for sure I have the same problem?  My issue is that 80% of the time that I open the screen it's just scrambled, but occasionally it works as long as I keep it open.  It seems more to me like the wires connecting the body to the screen would be the ones damaged and not ones towards the bottom of the screen?  Any advice would be much appreciated!!  I'm just a novice but feel like I can definitely solve my problem with the great instructions if y'all think it could be related.  Thank you!!!
johnr29
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

by jttar » Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:28 pm

Hello Johnr29,

Greetings and welcome.

Can't really say that it is the same wire problem. My symptoms were that some of the touch screen buttons were not working but the screen was not scrambled.

If your DCR DVD505 is out of any type of extended warranty I would follow these fantastic directions and pictures and open it up. Remove and reseat all of the ribbon cable connections to ensure good contact. If possible when the screen is scrambled try pressing on the ribbon cables to see if the screen straightens out.

Please do keep us updated.

Best of luck,
Joe
jttar
Sony Legend
Sony Legend

by johnr29 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:05 am

JTTAR, thanks for your response!  As a matter of fact, I actually have the DCR - SR47, but this seemed to be the closest DIY fix that I could find and they are very similar cameras.  Before I open it up though, one thing I noticed was that in the great detailed instructions, if my problem wire does indeed end up being one of the two that connect the screen to the body, would you think that putting paper there might potentially be a fix for me, too?  I know you don't know for sure, but your opinion is valued much more than my own!  Thanks!
johnr29
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

by jttar » Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:47 pm

John,

The display screen for your DCR - SR47 is very similar to the DCR - DVD505. If it were mine, I would open the cover and give it a try. All it will cost is your time and there is a good chance that the scramble screen problem is a loose ribbon cable connection. Make sure all the cables are pushed in tightly to the connectors and give the paper insert a try. It might save you having to ship it off to Laredo and an expensive repair bill from Sony,

Keeping my fingers crossed for you,
Joe
jttar
Sony Legend
Sony Legend

by johnr29 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:23 am

Thanks Joe!  My fingers are crossed too and I'll give it a shot this weekend!  Will let you know how it turns out!
johnr29
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

by johnr29 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:59 am

JTTAR, well unfortunately I haven't solved it yet. I got it all taken apart and especially cleaned the contacts and made sure I did a good job reseating the cable connecting the screen to the body.  Got it all put back together and it seems to have helped but not solved.  So before the screen would be "scrambled" 8 out of 10 times and now its scrambled 2-3 out of 10.  But it's more than just needing to clean the contacts more.  I feel like the cable might have a problem where it connects back inside the camera's body?  on the SR47 there was one screw on the "joint" in between the two but that didn't do anything.  I assume that I have to take some of the shell of the body off before I can get to what I need?  Any advice or instructions you can think of, or am I getting in over my head?  Thank you!!!
johnr29
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

by jttar » Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:49 pm

Sorry to hear that John. I was hoping.....
The fact that it seems to be better (scrambling less often) does seem to point to a intermittent connection or a broken wirein a ribbon cable.
Is it possible to leave the back cover off the screen and try to get the screen to scramble. If so, while the screen is scrambled you coud try putting pressure on different parts of the ribbon cables to see if you can locate which cable is giving you the problem.

If it looks like you have to remove the rear cover off the camcorder to get to the connections I would suggest using a digital camera or cell phone and taking step by step pictures along the way so that there is no chance of guessing what went where or which screws went in first.

Best of luck,
Joe
jttar
Sony Legend
Sony Legend

by johnr29 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:42 pm

Hey Joe,

Thanks again for your reply.  I took apart again and did try to get the screen to unscramble by pressing on the cable that connects the body to the screen, but to no avail.  But now that I re-read your post, you mentioned trying that on all cables.  Not knowing what each one is for, is it possible that some of the lower cables on the bottom of the screen could be affecting the problem.  It's so bizarre.  I have the camera powered on, open the screen and all is well, close it and open it back up, and it's fine, then do that again and it's scrambled, then close it up and reopen and its fine again.  Definitely no pattern.

Thanks for your continued advice!
johnr29
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

PreviousNext

Return to Camera Misc.