[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 35: Use of undefined constant topic - assumed 'topic' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
Agoraquest • View topic - Sony DCR DVD505 touch screen buttons no longer working

Advanced search
It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:58 am
Please Login or Register to take advantage of all of our forum benefits.

View topic - Sony DCR DVD505 touch screen buttons no longer working

Sony DCR DVD505 touch screen buttons no longer working

This Forum is for any other questions you might have

Moderator: jttar

by jttar » Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:17 pm

Ekram,

Greetings and welcome!

Thank you for taking the time to join and share with us how you repaired your touch screen.

I realize that you are from Bangladesh and some words may be different in the translation but would you give a more detailed explanation of where you installed the thick paper and how it corrected the problem of the touch screen not responding.

Thanks,
Joe
jttar
Sony Legend
Sony Legend

by sipogiako » Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:51 pm

On 2009-01-13 18:47, ekram911 wrote:
Dear Larry,

I also faced the same two year back! I thought as Joe guessed. And  I took the risk

Yes, I solved this!

But you have to be very careful!

In my case, when it was not waorking, I opend only the LCD screen part and carefully put
thick paper at the below part where all connection come (at the bottom of the screen).
It mean a thick paper is puttet under the carbon connections.

I screwed back all I opened earlier!

One thing to mention that I turned the cam on when ever I was doing work with that!
Thats all!

It is woring for years! and I am happy to let you know because I also was searching on
websites to get it solved. At last I took the resk, and got success!

Hope for the best!

-Ekram, from Bangladesh

sipogiako
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

by sipogiako » Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:55 pm

Thanks EKRAM for that good idea. it's solve my problem.
it really works.

sipogiako.
from downunder
sipogiako
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

by jttar » Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:50 pm

sipogiako,

Greetings and welcome!

Thank you for confirming EKRAM's suggestion on how to repair the touch screen problem. Can you post a step by step procedure. Pictures would be a bonus.

Joe
jttar
Sony Legend
Sony Legend

by viscor » Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:25 pm

My DCR-DVD505 just encountered the same issue. I removed that back panel of the LCD screen but I'm not sure into what spot you slipped the paper.

I would be eternally grateful for some more detailed information. The cost to fix the camera is approximately the same as the cost to purchase it new in the box on eBay.
viscor
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

by puckliny » Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:47 pm

THANK YOU EKRAM!!!

You my friend are a genius. I hope you see this post.

I also have the Sony DCR DVD 505 and I lost 90% function of the touch screen. The display however was still working perfectly. I tried Sony reps but they read the manual to me and it was useless. They said I needed a repair. Its obviously a design flaw as I have seen many similar posts while looking for the solution. Ekram's solution works!

To help clarify:

1. Remove the back of the touch screen. There are 2 screws at each end of the screen. You do not need to remove the screws at the arm/joint. You'll have to twist the LCD around a bit to get at the arm side of the screen.

2. CAREFULLY remove back, do not shove anything deep into the back. Just work the edges and it will come off.

3. For point of reference, close the screen back onto the body. Now looking at the exposed wire ribbons you will see a ribbon at the right side bottom. This is close to the non hinged side. It is about 1/2" wide and come out of the bottom edge and wraps up. Keep this ribbon in your memory.

4. Now open up the screen and power up the unit.

5. Reach around the open side and press the entire width of the ribbon back against the screen with medium pressure.

6. Test the touch screen. It should now respond!!

7. Unlike Ekram who used some paper (I didn't want it to work loose). I used a bit of fun tack to stick down the ribbon. I made it thick enough so it compresses when you reinstall the back piece on. I'm sure even some chewed gum would work.

8. I reinstalled the back making sure the fun tack was compressing the ribbon down.

9 Voila!! It actually works perfectly now!!! Woo wee and I though I was out $200 to fix this puppy! Or worse $300 to get a new one.

10. Really Sony should be pretty aware of this little issue. Shame on them.

Good luck!
puckliny
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

by brimest0ne » Sat Oct 31, 2009 12:58 am

I can confirm that fix as well. I took pictures to go with the excellent  instructions provided by puckliny.

I did have some added problems that I had to work around, I will detail those when I post the pictures.
brimest0ne
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

by jttar » Sat Oct 31, 2009 7:34 pm

brimest0ne,

Greetings and welcome. Happy to hear that EKRAM and puckliny's post were able to solve your touch screen problem. As I stated earlier in this thread, my DCR DVD505  was still under warranty and I sent it off to Laredo for repairs. Sony replaced the screen. Now that I am no longer under warranty it is good to hear that there is a work around for the touch screen problem.

I look forward to your pictures. Please post them to this thread.

Joe
jttar
Sony Legend
Sony Legend

by mattjit » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:58 am

Amazing... worked for me too. THANK YOU EKRAM AND PUCKLINY!!! Just saved me $600-900 for a new camcorder.

One word of caution about using fun tack (or gum). I tried this first, but I guess it wasnt compressing exactly the right spot on the ribbon. When I attempted to remove the cover again to adjust, the fun tack was stuck to the ribbon and the cover and was extremely difficult to remove without damaging the ribbon. It actually got pulled out from the slot... gulp! Not to worry, if this happens, slide the ribbon carefully back into the slot... may take some maneuvering to get it right, but it does go back in.

I used a combo of Ekram and Puckliny's methods. I marked the area on the underside of the cover that overlies the ribbon. I then cut out a small piece of corrugated cardboard (you can also use paper folded over) and fun tacked that to the underside of the cover and then placed the cover back on. This way, the paper wont move after replacing the cover and you wont risk damaging the ribbon if you have to tweak things down the line.

Hope this helps.
mattjit
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

by brimest0ne » Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:51 pm

Ok, here are the Pictures...

I hope this helps, this worked out for me, and just in time too, it would seem I missed placed the remote...Anyone got a fix for that??  
brimest0ne
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

PreviousNext

Return to Camera Misc.