[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 35: Use of undefined constant topic - assumed 'topic' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
Agoraquest • View topic - DSC-H5 constant noise like a motor running when camera is on

Advanced search
It is currently Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:42 am
Please Login or Register to take advantage of all of our forum benefits.

View topic - DSC-H5 constant noise like a motor running when camera is on

DSC-H5 constant noise like a motor running when camera is on

This Forum is questions on any problems you could have with your Sony digital camera (i.e. Sony digital camera problem issue, contrast problems, picture quality, so forth)

Moderator: jttar

by Pentaluna » Mon May 31, 2010 11:09 am

The noise is faint but audible.  Turning the Steady Shot on and off does not change the noise. It is not present if the camera has the lens cap on and is then turned on.  If the lens cap is removed the noise is present when the camera is turned on and after after the lens has extended.  The noise is constant.

I have tried turning on and off various features but nothing seems to stop the noise.

This is a new camera that has had very little use, maybe a hundred photos taken.

When familiarizing myself with the camera, looking at menus, taking a few pictures, running the zoom several times, the batteries have fairly rapidly discharged.  These are the rechargeable batteries that came with the camera, and fully recharged.

I know the rechargeables don't last as long as some others, but I think these are discharging too quickly.

Every other camera I have had is completely silent what sitting turned on awaiting a picture to be taken.  This constant "motor running" noise just doesn't seem right.

I will appreciate any suggestions!

John

Pentaluna
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

by Pentaluna » Mon May 31, 2010 11:24 am

On further research I found the following in a review of the H5:

"The Sony DSC-H5 makes an odd but constant noise, that seems unrelated to the zoom and focus motor, almost as if it had a fan inside. You can hear it if you put your ear to the camera or use the EVF to compose images. Don't be alarmed, it's normal; and no, it's not the sea, nor is it the SteadyShot mechanism, because the sound persists even when it's off."

If true, although the source of the noise is not explained, perhaps I am now somewhat reassured.

John
Pentaluna
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

Return to Camera Troubleshooting