[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 35: Use of undefined constant topic - assumed 'topic' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
Agoraquest • View topic - image size

Advanced search
It is currently Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:07 am
Please Login or Register to take advantage of all of our forum benefits.

View topic - image size

image size

This forum is geared towards fine-tuning your Sony digital camera settings. If you have troubles or just simple questions about optimizing your picture, check out this forum. Feel free to add your suggestions to the manuals.

Moderator: jttar

by puddles » Fri Apr 12, 2002 6:26 am

I just got my Sony S75 Cybershot. I'm trying to figure out what size to set my image to. I guess what I'll do most is download my pictures to a computer and print 4x6 images. I know the higher the setting the less pictures you can get on your memory stick. Is it true that if the setting is higher that the image will be clearer? I used the highest setting and when I opened a picture using the software they sent me, the image was so huge I could hardly see 1/4 of the picture. Should this happen?
puddles
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

by NiteHawk » Sat Apr 13, 2002 4:33 am

Congradulations on receiving your Sony S75 Cybershot. It is a very fine camera.

Since this camera is rated at 3.3 megapixels, it should be able to produce a clear and sharp 4 x 6" print at its lowest setting.

Using a higher setting will not necessary give you a clearer 4 x 6" print, but will give you the capability to enlarge the print size (8 x 12") while retaining a clear and sharp print. One of the problems with earlier digital cameras (less than 1 megapixel) was that when you tried to print anything larger than 4 x 5", the print would be pixelated (fuzzy) and not clear.

The reason why you where only able to see about 1/4 of your picture is becuase you saved that picture at its highest setting (uncompressed TIFF file format). You should use the compressed GIF or JPEG file format, thereby allowing you to save more pictures to your memory stick.
NiteHawk
Sony Addict
Sony Addict

by Mosken » Sat Sep 14, 2002 3:10 am

Saving it to GIF or JPEG file format also reduce the quality. Saving in Tiff does not.

Here is some info on formats:

Choosing a File Format
When you shoot a picture, the camera processes the picture data based on the white balance and other settings. Then, as its last step before transferring the photo to the memory card, the camera saves the picture into the file format you’ve selected. The file format you choose can impact the clarity of the photo. A number of digital cameras offer both TIFF and JPEG settings:

TIFF: This file format is uncompressed. Choosing TIFF means that you’re always assured of getting all the image quality captured and processed by the camera. But TIFF files can be quite large, which means that only a few will fit onto a memory card. They can also take a while to be written to the card, which, with some cameras, means it might be a few seconds before you can take another picture.
JPEG: This file format is compressed, which means that the picture information is squeezed to a smaller size before it’s stored on the memory card. Though this compression does not alter the photo’s resolution, it does come at the expense of a slight loss of detail and clarity in the photo. Typically, a camera will offer several JPEG settings, each offering progressively more compression (which translates into being able to store more photos on the memory card), with a commensurate drop in image quality.
The file format you choose doesn’t affect the resolution of the phot, but if you choose a JPEG setting that compresses the photo heavily, the detail in the photo may be irretrievably damaged. This type of damage is called JPEG artifacting, and often appears as a pattern of large, square blocks sprinkled through the picture. JPEG artifacting limits your ability to make a large print from the photo, even though the resolution of the photo hasn’t been changed by the JPEG compression.

It would seem that shooting on the TIFF setting, if your camera offers it, is the most sensible way to eek out every ounce of quality from a digital camera. While this is true, it isn’t the whole story. That’s because shooting TIFF (instead of JPEG) means that you need to have lots of memory cards to shoot with, a faster memory card reader (forget "tethering", or connecting the camera directly to the computer if you’re shooting TIFF), a larger hard drive to store the large files and more blank CDs since not as many TIFF files can fit on a CD as JPEG files. TIFFs can quickly become impractical.

Fortunately, the highest-quality, lowest-compression JPEG setting on most cameras offers fractionally less quality than TIFF, but without the headaches of really large photo files. In fact, few photographers ever notice the difference between a best-quality JPEG and TIFF, even though the JPEG will be six to eight times smaller when stored on the card. The same can’t be said of the lower-quality JPEG settings—clarity and detail can drop off fast.

To maximize both the resolution and clarity of your photos, while not bogging down the camera and limiting its usefulness, set your camera on its highest resolution and best-quality JPEG settings.

Mosken
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

by MachineMan » Sat Oct 04, 2003 8:33 am

Hi, I have a DSC-S70 and I take all my pictures at res. 1280x960 JPEG. I can fit over 200 on my 128mb stick. I did some tests and anything above 1280x960 is a waste for 4x6 prints. The weakest link is the printer and photo paper resoltuon and detail. Meaning that I did not notice any printed quality difference above 1280x960. I tried printers HP932C(res 2400x1200) and Epson CX5200(res. 5700x1400)
MachineMan
Sony Enthusiast
Sony Enthusiast

by bestimage » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:13 am

tiff is a higher resolution image formats compared with jpeg and png. if you have a higher setting,you might as well save as tiff vb.net. this should help you.
bestimage
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

by dtimage » Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:48 pm

i use this .net imaging software to open an image, if the image size is too larger, i can scale or zoom image. and i doubt whether the highest settting will get the clearest pictures.  the method is by choosing the right image format.
dtimage
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

Return to Camera Configuration