[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 35: Use of undefined constant topic - assumed 'topic' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4779: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4781: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
Agoraquest • View topic - Help...connecting older Hi8 camera to PC

Advanced search
It is currently Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:52 pm
Please Login or Register to take advantage of all of our forum benefits.

View topic - Help...connecting older Hi8 camera to PC

Help...connecting older Hi8 camera to PC

Installation questions, problems or simply a note. This forum is to discuss anything about installing your Sony cameras. Doesn't matter what television you use, if you need help about installation process, this is the right place.

Moderator: jttar

by trubluluc » Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:03 am

Hello-

I have an older Sony ccd-trv93 video camera that I want to hook up to my PC.

I have a new HP media center desktop (Vista) with S-video in and right and left Audio In jacks.

I have hooked everything up correctly, and hit play, but don't know to find the input menu on the computer so it will find or recognize it..

My monitor doesn't have composite or s-video imputs.

What do I need to do to be able to view the video, and to be able to save it on my hard drive?

-Luc

trubluluc
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

by NiteHawk » Tue Aug 14, 2007 5:21 am

Welcome to the forum.  Since your camera lacks usb/firewire connections, it will not automatically be recognized when connected to your computer via s-video and audio jacks.

However, you should be able to view/record the video and audio from your camera once you enter the TV tuner section of MS Vista.  From there, you should have the option of recording from your TV tuner or video inputs.  Peace.   
NiteHawk
Sony Addict
Sony Addict

by trubluluc » Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:42 pm

Thank you for the speedy reply NiteHawk.

Of course my next question will fully demonstrate my ignorance of the video/computer world, but........
could anyone tell me the steps to access the tuner and imput selection?

I went into "media center" and could get to the tv and channels etc. but I couldn't find a way to select imputs or locations, and even with the video camera hooked up and playing in vcr mode, nothing appeared on the screen.

thanks!

-Luc

trubluluc
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

by trubluluc » Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:08 am

Anybody?
Or should I be asking this on the computer forum?

-Luc
trubluluc
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

by NiteHawk » Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:29 am

The Media Center area of Vista should allow you to record from your various inputs as well.  I'm not familar with Vista; still running XP, as a result I use software like Pinnacle Studio, Nero Vision Express and Windows Movie Maker to download video from my camera.

Did they bundled/include any software for editing video with your system?  
NiteHawk
Sony Addict
Sony Addict

by trubluluc » Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:40 pm

I don't think there is that much difference between my Vista and XP OS computers. A few bells and whistles is all I can see.

Yes, there is a couple of programs that came bundled.

"Muvee auto producer"
"Windows movie maker"
"Roxio basic creater v9
" Adobe premiere 2.0"

But they all seem to require a DV camera using a firewire 1394 imput. None of them mention an analog setup.
It just seems weird to include these composite (rca) imputs on the front of the computer (for ease of access) but they don't mention a way to make use of them.

-Luc
trubluluc
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

by jehill » Tue May 27, 2008 12:28 pm

Why don't you call the vendor of your PC for help?
jehill
Sony Senior Advisor
Sony Senior Advisor

by The-Ish316 » Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:15 pm

trubluluc, sorry I didn't see this thread sooner and to hear you are having troubles importing your Hi8 video to the PC.  It sounds to me like after viewing your hardware and software descriptions, that you do not have an analog to digital converter.  There are a few video cards that are termed "capture" cards which have this analog to digital converter built in.  But they are expensive.  There are also outboard digital converters.  

I personally use a DCR-TRV120 digital 8 camcorder which has a built in converter.

You might find VideoHelp.com forums helpful.  There's lots of useful info there.  

STR-DA4ES, Bravia KDL-52XBR9, DVP-NC600, BDP-S1, Athena AS-F2 fronts, AS-C1 center, CSW Surrounds; ChannelMaster DVR+, Sony HDR-SR12, TC-WR6655S
The-Ish316
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

by jehill » Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:52 am

I have two TV tuner cards, one that I am using and one that I am not.  Both cards include an S-video input jack.  The sound card that I have has L and R audio inputs.  You select the video input with the software that comes with a TV tuner and the audio input with the software that comes with your sound card.  Its the AUX sound input.
jehill
Sony Senior Advisor
Sony Senior Advisor

by mary123 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:29 pm

hi....
As your camera only has analogue outputs, you will need to buy a video capture card for your PC, such as those made by Leadtek.There are also external USB-connected devices that do the same job.

Make sure your PC exceeds the minimum spec or you may lose information during capture. I would recommend at least 1GHz processor.

Hope that helps.

mary123
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

Return to Camera Installation