[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 35: Use of undefined constant topic - assumed 'topic' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4779: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4781: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
Agoraquest • View topic - My "rescue pet"/"dumpster dive" SONY KV-27FS12

Advanced search
It is currently Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:21 pm
Please Login or Register to take advantage of all of our forum benefits.

View topic - My "rescue pet"/"dumpster dive" SONY KV-27FS12

My "rescue pet"/"dumpster dive" SONY KV-27FS12

This forum is geared towards fine-tuning your Sony television settings. If you have troubles or just simple questions about optimizing your picture, check out this forum. Feel free to add your suggestions to the manuals.

Moderator: jttar

by EarlyAdopter » Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:15 am

It wasn't actually in the dumpster but on the concrete slab next to it.  I had noticed it a few days earlier and there was a light rain in the interim before I decided to get my 2-wheeler hand truck and cart it home.  Originally there had been an even older SONY remote taped to it but that was now gone.  It weighs a ton (103+ lbs. or 47 kg) and I needed help getting it up the front steps.

It was manufactured in Mexico in March 2001.  The front control panel cover is missing along with a couple chunks of plastic in the base.  The upper left corner of the picture tube has gone to a green tint but that kind of adds to its charm.

One feature that had mystified me was the "VM" adjustment in the video menu.  After finding the entire operating instructions at http://esupport.sony.com/US/ (a great resource), I learned that "VM" is "Velocity Modulation" or edge enhancement.  My SONY universal remote operated the set without any programming or looking up codes.

Anyhow, it's a welcome addition to my adopted SONY family of "obsolete" technology.  It was the stripped-down model in the series and so there is no PIP.  Sitting out it the rain didn't seem to do it any harm.  One cute quirk is the loud "thunk" sound that it makes when you power it up.  Turning it off, all you hear is a discrete "click" response.  It's now my official secondary TV.  The 4:3 aspect ratio is perfect for old movies and TV shows although it will also display letterbox.  I'm glad I saved it from going to the dump.       

EarlyAdopter
Sony Buff
Sony Buff

by jehill » Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:49 am

Congratulations on your find!
jehill
Sony Senior Advisor
Sony Senior Advisor

by EarlyAdopter » Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:04 am

One feature that had mystified me was the "VM" adjustment in the video menu.  After finding the entire operating instructions at http://esupport.sony.com/US/ (a great resource), I learned that "VM" is "Velocity Modulation" or edge enhancement.  My SONY universal remote operated the set without any programming or looking up codes.

Using both the edge tweaking and ramping up the sharpness on this "old" set improves the picture (to my taste) when I watch "NCIS" and "NCIS:Los Angeles" because they are both shot in HD video but the producers/art directors/videographers try to make it look like film by digitally or otherwise softening the resolution.  I can appreciate an artistic look on certain films but I don't need it for a military whodunnit.

I want to believe that the atmospheric look is not just to make Mark Harmon look younger.

In any event, The VM control has a reason for being.  

EarlyAdopter
Sony Buff
Sony Buff

by EarlyAdopter » Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:09 pm

Where's the DELETE button? Otherwise, no complaints.
Last edited by EarlyAdopter on Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EarlyAdopter
Sony Buff
Sony Buff

by EarlyAdopter » Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:12 pm

EarlyAdopter
Sony Buff
Sony Buff

Return to Television Configuration