[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 35: Use of undefined constant topic - assumed 'topic' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
Agoraquest • View topic - Optical Out Port

Advanced search
It is currently Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:56 am
Please Login or Register to take advantage of all of our forum benefits.

View topic - Optical Out Port

Optical Out Port

This forum addresses questions on any installation problems you might encounter with your Sony television (i.e. How to install, what wires go where, etc.)

Moderator: jttar

by gunny_bedford » Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:11 pm

Hi

Have just purchased a Sony Bravia  KDL 32EX403, great telly, just trying to sort the connections. I have a Virgin HD cable box, a Panasonic HD DVD and home theatre box, Apple TV and Wii. At present the Virgin Box, DVD and Apple TV are connected by HDMI and the Wii is hanging off the AV3 connection.

Thats no problem, what i am trying to sort is the sound ! currently the Virgin box is connected by SCART to the DVD/Home theatre box, the Apple TV via optical in, the Wii is not connected at all. So when switching between the various bits of kit, I also have to switch inputs on the Panasonic box, or in the case of using the Wii kill the sound from the DVD and turn up the sound on the TV. I am thinking there must be a better way ?

I note the Sony TV has an Optical out socket, so if i connected that to the optical in socket of the Panasonic home theatre system would that solve the problem ie what ever source i was watching on the TV, it's sound would be sent down to the Panasonic box via the optical lead, thus i could just leave the panasonic box set to "digital in". Or would that cause problems ? i am thinking that maybe all the connected boxes would be fighting to send their sound signal down the one optical cable ? or would it be a case that only the source being viewed on the tv would be allowed to send its sound down the optical cable ?

This could also help cut down cables as all i would have is 3 HDMI cables from the virgin box, apple tv, panasonic DVD going tv, one set of cables from the wii going to AV3 and then one optical out going from the tv to the panasonic DVD, or is this just to simple and easy ! if it will not work are there any better suggestions over what i currently have ?

thanks

Neil
gunny_bedford
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

by jehill » Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:15 am

Welcome to Agoraquest!  There is only one way to find out how the TV optical output works out, try it!  I don't want to get your hopes up, but I get Dolby Digital 5.1 sound out of the optical output on my KDL-55XBR8 for each HDMI input that contains multi-channel sound.  The sound output is for the selected input. 
jehill
Sony Senior Advisor
Sony Senior Advisor

Return to Television Installation