[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 35: Use of undefined constant topic - assumed 'topic' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
Agoraquest • View topic - Sony 36XBR800 and Apple TV2 connections...

Advanced search
It is currently Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:57 am
Please Login or Register to take advantage of all of our forum benefits.

View topic - Sony 36XBR800 and Apple TV2 connections...

Sony 36XBR800 and Apple TV2 connections...

This forum addresses questions on any installation problems you might encounter with your Sony television (i.e. How to install, what wires go where, etc.)

Moderator: jttar

by sboychuck » Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:30 pm

Alright, how does this sound. I found a manual for my TV online and was surprised.

I found (Amazon) a digital (Dolby 5.1) audio to RCA (left/right) components adapter that I can use from the ATV2. The main questions is, will the ATV2 work with an HDMI to DVI input (Apple tech said no, but some people say yes) in the back of my TV (Sony 36XBR800). In the original Sony TV literature, it states it supports HDCP. Has anything changed in HDCP since 2001-2002 to today? The literature also says the DVI input converts 720p to 1080i. Is that going to be a problem? I have attached a few more screenshots to look at.

I think this is the fix, HDMI to DVI cable (~$20.00) and digital (Dolby 5.1) audio to RCA component cable adapter (~$100). Is the price to steep for the adaptors?

Has anyone had any luck, good or bad with either of these adapters?

This TV is huge, but the super-fine pitch (HI-Scan) look very good. I just want some advise before going this route and wasting money.

Thanks in advance for any help.
sboychuck
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

by andyross » Thu Nov 25, 2010 4:04 am

To be honest, consider getting a new TV. It may be cheaper in the long run. I had a 30XBR910, and when it died, I replaced it with a 46EX700. Although there are a few issues (typical LCD contrast loss off-center, black not super-deep), there were many more pluses (noticeably sharper picture, no linearity issues, no alignment issues.)

Or, get an external audio system. You can use the Apple's optical audio out for that.
andyross
Sony Addict
Sony Addict

by sboychuck » Sat Dec 04, 2010 3:32 pm

I hooked up the ATV2 to the Sony 36XBR800 and all went smooth. It appears as if everything is working and I have a 16x9 picture. I have no idea if it is 720p or 1080i though. This TV is supposed to up-convert 720p to 1080i by itself. I cannot locate anything in the TV or ATV2 menu to tell me the resolution. I do not have an HD DirecTV box, only standard. The picture quality has always been very clear on this beast. No HDCP errors either.

The one thing I gathered from the Apple forums is to not let it download and install the newest update. It seems to down-convert all DVI connections to 480P.

All streaming works great and I am going to see how Airplay works.

It was nice to not have to buy a new TV just yet. Extra money for X-mas gifts.
sboychuck
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

by psereiko » Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:30 am

On 2010-12-04 19:32, sboychuck wrote:
I hooked up the ATV2 to the Sony 36XBR800 and all went smooth. It appears as if everything is working and I have a 16x9 picture. I have no idea if it is 720p or 1080i though. This TV is supposed to up-convert 720p to 1080i by itself. I cannot locate anything in the TV or ATV2 menu to tell me the resolution. I do not have an HD DirecTV box, only standard. The picture quality has always been very clear on this beast. No HDCP errors either.

The one thing I gathered from the Apple forums is to not let it download and install the newest update. It seems to down-convert all DVI connections to 480P.

All streaming works great and I am going to see how Airplay works.

It was nice to not have to buy a new TV just yet. Extra money for X-mas gifts.
psereiko
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

by psereiko » Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:31 am

I am completely frustrated with the ATV2 and my Sony KV-34XBR800 circa 2002.

According the Sony manual the DVI port supports HDCP, so I've tried two different HDMI to DVI adapter cables .... the first was an adapter plug between HDMI and Dual-Link DVI. That didn't work so I bought an HDMI to Single-Link DVI cable. That didn't work either. In both cases all i get is a black screen.

Audio and AirPlay over iTunes works fine via an optical connection direct into my Surround sound receiver.

I also hauled down my daughters newer Sony LCD TV with a full repertoire of HDMI ports and it worked fine with all video and audio as well.

I got this for XMAS as a way to stream NetFlix, but I really like the Airplay and iTunes features, so now I don't know what to do. Anyone know if a Roku box works with iTunes and Wi-Fi?
psereiko
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

Return to Television Installation