[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 35: Use of undefined constant topic - assumed 'topic' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
Agoraquest • View topic - KDL-52XBR9 Won't Connect To Internet

Advanced search
It is currently Sun Dec 15, 2019 4:48 pm
Please Login or Register to take advantage of all of our forum benefits.

View topic - KDL-52XBR9 Won't Connect To Internet

KDL-52XBR9 Won't Connect To Internet

This forum addresses questions on any installation problems you might encounter with your Sony television (i.e. How to install, what wires go where, etc.)

Moderator: jttar

by junior1954 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:38 pm

Hi

I have Mediacom cable in central Illinois, a secondary (sort of Podunk) market.  I have attempted to establish an internet connection, gone through the set's diagnostics and spent hours on the phone with both Mediacom and Sony.  The diagnostics indicate that the WIRED connection (the TV, my amp and a new HP printer are the items hard-wired to my Apple Airport Extreme router) to the TV has been established, verifying the signal and cable hook up, but the internet connection failed.  Sony attributed the problem to Mediacom's modem (an RCA DCM-425) and asked that I instruct Mediacom to "turn on" various electronic features in the modem.  When I told this to Mediacom, they said there were no such options that could be controlled on the modem and insisted their equipment was not at fault. Asking them to swap out the modem with a different brand was fruitless as well.  Any advise would be appreciated-I demand my on demand!  I have successfully hooked up my KDL-65W5100 to the internet at my primary residence (Comcast cable near Chicago) and have been enjoying it for 8 months, so I know it's not me.  Could signal strength be an issue?  I haven't experience any tiling and the internet on the computers works well (same cable).

Thanks

junior1954
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

by jehill » Mon Jul 12, 2010 2:18 pm

Welcome to Agoraquest!  As a Comcast Customer Account Executive, I can tell you that the DCM-425 is one of the modems used by Comcast and concur that there are no additional features that can be enabled on the modem.  The modem is not the problem, but your router could be.  Try the following:

1.  Connect the TV directly to the modem
2.  Reset the modem by unplugging it for 10 seconds (necessary anytime that you connect the modem to a different device).
3.  Select an Ethernet source on the TV

If this dosen't work, I would focus on the Ethernet cable between the two.  There probably is a bad connection at one end or the other.
jehill
Sony Senior Advisor
Sony Senior Advisor

by junior1954 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 2:32 pm

I've connected the TV directly to the modem, re-booted everything, still no-go.  During the diagnostics, it displays a message that the cable connection has taken place and the signal is good, but the internet connection failed.  I used a different (verified good) ethernet cable and by-passed the in-wall cable, still no good.  I also installed a flash update that Sony sent me.

junior1954
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

by jehill » Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:02 am

Lets modify the procedure as follows:

1.  Turn the TV off and unplug it
2.  Connect the TV directly to the modem
3.  Reset the modem by unplugging it for 10 seconds
4.  Wait until you see 2 lights flashing and 2 lights solid.  If the Internet light is off, press the Internet button (the modem was in standby)
5.  Plug the TV back in and turn it on.
6.  Check the Ethernet connection again.
7.  Assuming a connection, select an Ethernet source on the TV

I am stumped if that doesn't do the trick.  You are able  to get on the internet with the modem, router and PC aren't you?

-John
jehill
Sony Senior Advisor
Sony Senior Advisor

by junior1954 » Sat Jul 17, 2010 2:38 pm

You were right, John.  I thought I'd wired the modem directly to the TV, but I either didn't or didn't do it correctly, because when I bypass the router (Apple Airport Extreme), I get internet on the TV.  I spent another hour on the phone with Apple support and they told me I needed to contanct Sony again to get the proper settings for the router.  Honestly, I think I'm just going to buy a Ethernet splitter and wire the TV directly to the modem.

Thanks

Jim    
junior1954
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

by jehill » Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:57 am

You shouldn't have to contact Sony at all.  I have no problem connecting my KDL-55XBR8 and BDP-S550 to the internet via an Ethernet cable connected to my Linksys WRT610N router, not that the model number is important.  The only thing that I can think of is that maybe your Apple Airport Extreme is not configured to be a DHCP server.  Having the router configured to be a DHCP server allows any thing that you connect to your router to automatically obtain an IP address.  This eliminates the need to manually assign IP addresses to each device connected to a router.
jehill
Sony Senior Advisor
Sony Senior Advisor

by junior1954 » Sun Jul 18, 2010 1:20 pm

Per Sony, I enabled DHCP and turned MAC adress filtering off.  There seems to be an i.p. adress issue that I don't have the patience to address.  A splitter will solve my problem.

Jim
junior1954
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

by jehill » Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:00 pm

What do you mean by "splitter"?  When I think of a splitter, I think of an RF splitter.
jehill
Sony Senior Advisor
Sony Senior Advisor

by junior1954 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:16 pm

I purchased a 4 port ethernet hub.
junior1954
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

by jehill » Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:28 am

That I understand, but I am not so sure that a hub functions as a DHCP server.  What you probably need is another router.  I see that the new STR-DA5600ES receiver includes one.
jehill
Sony Senior Advisor
Sony Senior Advisor

Next

Return to Television Installation